23/11/12 15:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Palestinian man has been shot dead close to the Israeli/Gaza border.
It is the first reported killing since the ceasefire came into force on Wednesday.
The IDF says around 300 people approached the border fence east of Kahn Younis and some tried to break through. Israeli troops then fired warning shots and after these were ignored they shot at their legs.
A number of others suffered gunshot wounds.
Palestinians claim the people were a group of farmers who were trying to retrieve parts from the wreckage of an Israeli jeep.
The extent of the devastation from the eight-day Israeli assault is still being assessed. Palestinian supply tunnels close to the Rafah border crossing bore the brunt of the destruction.
“We are trying to repair the tunnel to get back to work. It costs a lot but what can we do, we have to fix it. This tunnel of ours which has been destroyed will cost 30 thousand dollars to repair,” said one tunnel worker.
Since the ceasefire Israeli troops moved into the West Bank and made a swathe of arrests.
The IDF say the move was related to recent terrorist activity in Judea and Samaria. A spokesperson said the arrests will help restore calm to the region.
- 1How to talk to kids about tragedies such as the Paris attacks
- 2Putin and Hollande agree on greater cooperation over Syrian air strikes
- 3Russia hits Turkey with economic sanctions, warns more could follow
- 4Turkey and Russia trade barbs as tensions mount over downed jet
- 5Muslims in Russian Federation, under police pressure (some) enlist with ISIL
- 1Warning or no warning – tension grows between Russia and Turkey over downed jet
- 2Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 3Hollande adds Italy to his coalition before heading to Moscow
- 4Media war Turkish and Russian press react to downed fighter
- 5Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 19Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Latest world news
Italian police seize hundreds of rifles bound for Belgium
US: man arrested after jumping White House fence
Probe opens into murder of Venezuelan opposition leader
Turkey: two journalists jailed over Syria smuggling reports
Turkey dismisses Russia’s economic threats over downing of fighter jet
Wires > News
- 06:59 CET Allegations of plot against Thai government unfounded – opposition
- 06:49 CET China air force again holds drills in Western Pacific
- 05:59 CET Indonesia raises concerns over Australia’s handling of asylum…
- 05:37 CET Chinese rights activist jailed for six years
- 05:21 CET China’s army to get more prominent role in military reform
- 03:15 CET Panama canal expansion could suffer new delay – spokesman
- 23:55 CET Russia seeks economic revenge against Turkey over jet
- 22:01 CET Turkey arrests two journalists on terrorism charges – CNN Turk