23/11/12 15:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Palestinian man has been shot dead close to the Israeli/Gaza border.
It is the first reported killing since the ceasefire came into force on Wednesday.
The IDF says around 300 people approached the border fence east of Kahn Younis and some tried to break through. Israeli troops then fired warning shots and after these were ignored they shot at their legs.
A number of others suffered gunshot wounds.
Palestinians claim the people were a group of farmers who were trying to retrieve parts from the wreckage of an Israeli jeep.
The extent of the devastation from the eight-day Israeli assault is still being assessed. Palestinian supply tunnels close to the Rafah border crossing bore the brunt of the destruction.
“We are trying to repair the tunnel to get back to work. It costs a lot but what can we do, we have to fix it. This tunnel of ours which has been destroyed will cost 30 thousand dollars to repair,” said one tunnel worker.
Since the ceasefire Israeli troops moved into the West Bank and made a swathe of arrests.
The IDF say the move was related to recent terrorist activity in Judea and Samaria. A spokesperson said the arrests will help restore calm to the region.
Latest world news
Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu confirms he will step down at AK Party Congress on 22 May
Voting underway across the UK on ‘Super Thursday’
Dilma’s impeachment moves one step closer as commission backs removal
Panama babies born with microcephaly linked to Zika
euronews visits frontline village in Syria
Wires > News
- 15:58 CET Italy, Germany ‘totally’ opposed to Austria border plans – Renzi
- 15:53 CET Japan PM Abe says would like Russia’s Putin to visit Japan
- 15:47 CET Nepal crisis averted as Maoists remain in coalition
- 15:43 CET Greek parliament to vote on tax, pension reforms before Eurogroup…
- 15:33 CET Anguished Republicans wrestle with whether to support Trump for…
- 15:15 CET No wedding tents for child marriages, Indian suppliers vow
- 14:58 CET Kenya electoral body prepares for 2017 vote, dismisses calls to…
- 14:53 CET Al Qaeda militants begin to leave two Yemeni towns – residents