23/11/12 15:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A Palestinian man has been shot dead close to the Israeli/Gaza border.
It is the first reported killing since the ceasefire came into force on Wednesday.
The IDF says around 300 people approached the border fence east of Kahn Younis and some tried to break through. Israeli troops then fired warning shots and after these were ignored they shot at their legs.
A number of others suffered gunshot wounds.
Palestinians claim the people were a group of farmers who were trying to retrieve parts from the wreckage of an Israeli jeep.
The extent of the devastation from the eight-day Israeli assault is still being assessed. Palestinian supply tunnels close to the Rafah border crossing bore the brunt of the destruction.
“We are trying to repair the tunnel to get back to work. It costs a lot but what can we do, we have to fix it. This tunnel of ours which has been destroyed will cost 30 thousand dollars to repair,” said one tunnel worker.
Since the ceasefire Israeli troops moved into the West Bank and made a swathe of arrests.
The IDF say the move was related to recent terrorist activity in Judea and Samaria. A spokesperson said the arrests will help restore calm to the region.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 3Aleppo: Germany and Turkey come up with a 10-point action plan
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
Canada to pull out of bombing campaign against ISIL by 22 February
New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in camps next to Turkey border
Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
Gusty winds hit Europe – on both sides of the Channel
Wires > News
- 00:00 CET Israel NGO bill, seen as targeting left-wing groups, crosses first…
- 22:57 CET Dissident Irish nationalists claim fatal Dublin shooting – BBC
- 22:44 CET Laptop bomb may have blown hole in Somali plane – U.S. officials
- 22:41 CET Arab-Israeli lawmakers suspended for meeting families of killed…
- 22:00 CET Israel may bank on Obama’s successor for future U.S. aid pact -…
- 21:55 CET Lives at risk unless WHO reforms, U.N. report says
- 21:44 CET U.S. defence intelligence chief predicts increased Islamic State…
- 21:02 CET Migrant arrivals to Greece’s Lesbos rise after days of bad weather