The ceasefire between Israel and Hamas held firm on Thursday, although both sides have vowed to retaliate if they are attacked.
Israeli reservists, who had been called up in their thousands, began leaving the border where increasing numbers had been sent in anticipation of a possible land offensive into Gaza.
An Israeli soldier died from his wounds on Thursday, bringing to six the number of Israelis killed in the recent violence.
The government still has to convince many people who are sceptical over the truce.
Like the military, the prime minister claims its bombardment of Gaza was successful.
“We are prepared to act if the peace is violated,” said Benjamin Netanyahu. “The campaign objectives were achieved. I know some were expecting a harsher response. We are prepared for that, too.”
Meanwhile, the Israeli security service says it has arrested suspects after Wednesday’s Tel Aviv bus bombing.
In Gaza, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh met the family of the military chief whose assassination by Israeli forces marked the start of the week-long outbreak of violence.
As Gaza celebrated a public holiday to mark the truce, the armed wing of the territory’s Hamas rulers declared victory.
Gaza/Israel: one week of conflict in pictures
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
Surfing dogs battle it out in California contest
Photojournalist among five found dead at Mexico City apartment
Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
Israelis against recent violence in region as clashes rage in West Bank
Wires > News
- 11:01 CET Malaysia says aeroplane debris found on Reunion Island part of…
- 10:41 CET Grassroots mayors embody Spain’s divisions as election nears
- 10:11 CET Analysis – Germans fret over Europe’s future but still believe
- 09:56 CET Chinese military paper warns a corrupt army does not win wars
- 06:07 CET Five found shot to death in Mexico City apartment
- 23:06 CET Finland must watch far-right closely after violent rally – minister
- 20:11 CET Kurdish militia in Syria accuses Turkey of ‘provocative’ attacks
- 18:19 CET Egypt extends for six months military mandate in Gulf, Red Sea