The ceasefire between Israel and Hamas held firm on Thursday, although both sides have vowed to retaliate if they are attacked.
Israeli reservists, who had been called up in their thousands, began leaving the border where increasing numbers had been sent in anticipation of a possible land offensive into Gaza.
An Israeli soldier died from his wounds on Thursday, bringing to six the number of Israelis killed in the recent violence.
The government still has to convince many people who are sceptical over the truce.
Like the military, the prime minister claims its bombardment of Gaza was successful.
“We are prepared to act if the peace is violated,” said Benjamin Netanyahu. “The campaign objectives were achieved. I know some were expecting a harsher response. We are prepared for that, too.”
Meanwhile, the Israeli security service says it has arrested suspects after Wednesday’s Tel Aviv bus bombing.
In Gaza, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh met the family of the military chief whose assassination by Israeli forces marked the start of the week-long outbreak of violence.
As Gaza celebrated a public holiday to mark the truce, the armed wing of the territory’s Hamas rulers declared victory.
Gaza/Israel: one week of conflict in pictures
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 4A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 04:50 CET Divers enter capsized South Korean ferry in hunt for survivors
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake
- 00:34 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali