In Germany there are indications Europe’s largest economy can regain some momentum as business sentiment rose for the first time in seven months in November.
Exports outside the eurozone and the prospect of strong Christmas sales boosted hopes.
Figures from the Munich-based Ifo think tank based on a monthly survey of some 7,000 firms surpassed even the highest estimate.
“Firstly at the moment there is no extra bad news from the euro crisis. There is no structural improvement, but there is also no rabbit punch. Secondly the economy outside Europe is not buoyant but not too bad,” said Kai Carstensen from the Ifo think tank.
Germany has avoided any fall out from the European debt crisis but recent data suggested its resilience is wearing thin.
Exports and consumers helped Germany to keep growing in the third quarter albeit at a slower rate than previously down to 0.2 percent.
Analysts believe Germany is well place for a boost to its exports with positive signals from Asia and the US.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 04:57 CET Greece not playing a game of chicken on debt – Kotzias
- 02:15 CET Barclays must face U.S. fraud lawsuit tied to ‘dark pool’ probe
- 01:31 CET Insight – Flash crash charges garner increasing skepticism in…
- 00:19 CET Collapse of Comcast cable deal may chasten Wall Street, for a while
- 00:10 CET No U.S.-Japan trade breakthrough expected during Abe visit – White…
- 23:40 CET BlackBerry considers closing Sweden operations
- 23:32 CET Deutsche to cut investment bank, hive off Postbank in revamp
- 23:08 CET EU antitrust case against Google based on 19 complainants – sources