San Francisco city officials have voted in favour of a ban on nudity in public places. This decision ends a bitter dispute with a group of nudists.
However, it’s not all bad news for those who wish to leave their clothes at home, because the ruling allows for exceptions at certain street fairs and events.
A federal lawsuit has already been filed arguing that it infringes on the right to free speech.
The call for the ban came in response to an increase in complaints about a group of men whose bare bodies are on display almost daily in the city’s famous gay Castro District.
Opponents of the change have expressed concern about how it will affect the image of San Francisco as a liberal beacon.
Under the new law, a first offence would carry a maximum $100 fine (€78), but prosecutors could also penalise offenders with $500 (€390) and a year in prison.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 06:46 CET Reporters cleared in Thai navy defamation case
- 06:07 CET Insight – Anti-Muslim Buddhist group moves toward Myanmar’s…
- 05:20 CET OAS will not hold meeting on Venezuela-Colombia border crisis
- 04:30 CET Fire in Venezuela prison kills 17 people, prosecutor says
- 03:48 CET Analysis – Japan nuclear power outlook bleak despite first reactor…
- 03:01 CET Obama says world must reach climate deal in Paris ‘while we still…
- 02:52 CET Suspect in Houston-area shooting of deputy appears in court
- 02:02 CET IMF approves second disbursement to Ghana