San Francisco city officials have voted in favour of a ban on nudity in public places. This decision ends a bitter dispute with a group of nudists.
However, it’s not all bad news for those who wish to leave their clothes at home, because the ruling allows for exceptions at certain street fairs and events.
A federal lawsuit has already been filed arguing that it infringes on the right to free speech.
The call for the ban came in response to an increase in complaints about a group of men whose bare bodies are on display almost daily in the city’s famous gay Castro District.
Opponents of the change have expressed concern about how it will affect the image of San Francisco as a liberal beacon.
Under the new law, a first offence would carry a maximum $100 fine (€78), but prosecutors could also penalise offenders with $500 (€390) and a year in prison.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 2Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
- 3Kyiv ultimatum to pro-Russian militia to disarm expires
- 4Australia avoids worst of Cyclone Ita but stormy weather still expected
- 5Ukraine as it happened: Kyiv calls for UN peacekeepers as pro-Russians approach Putin
- 1Missing flight MH370: ‘most promising lead’ yet as search crews detect two signal pings
- 2Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4West Africa: Doctors fight to contain Ebola outbreak
- 5Venezuela: tear gas, rubber bullets fired at protesters
Wires > News
- 05:59 CET Scores rescued from sinking South Korean ferry, two dead -…
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…
- 05:21 CET Australian state premier resigns over A$3,000 bottle of wine gift
- 04:05 CET Recovery effort underway after two die in Australia coal mine
- 02:09 CET Iran’s Zarif not worried about pushback from hardliners on nuclear…
- 01:35 CET Thousands flee gun battle as Chad withdraw from Central African…
- 01:06 CET U.S., China in ‘productive’ talks after North Korea test threat
- 23:40 CET Bombs wound three policemen in Cairo