Residents scattered as a rocket fired from Gaza landed in their neighbourhood. This was the southern Israeli city of Ashdod on Tuesday.
Emergency services cordoned off the area. An apartment was damaged but no one was injured.
Officials say more than 150 rockets were fired from Gaza on Tuesday afternoon, many intercepted by the Iron Dome defence system. But it is not infallible. One of the interceptors failed on Tuesday and crashes to the ground.
A rocket fell on the town of Rishon Lezion near Tel Aviv, causing damage but no casualties. Elsewhere, an 18 year old Israeli soldier has been killed, as well as a civilian in a separate attack.
Israeli army units, in place around the Gaza Strip, fire self-propelled artillery into the coastal enclave. They are poised to begin a ground invasion, should diplomatic efforts in Egypt come to nothing.
Latest world news
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Wires > News
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 00:37 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…
- 21:30 CET Yemen officials say peace talks suspended after Houthis seize base
- 21:28 CET Bergdahl defense can access classified information, court rules
- 21:11 CET Connecticut governor honored for welcoming Syrian refugees