Residents scattered as a rocket fired from Gaza landed in their neighbourhood. This was the southern Israeli city of Ashdod on Tuesday.
Emergency services cordoned off the area. An apartment was damaged but no one was injured.
Officials say more than 150 rockets were fired from Gaza on Tuesday afternoon, many intercepted by the Iron Dome defence system. But it is not infallible. One of the interceptors failed on Tuesday and crashes to the ground.
A rocket fell on the town of Rishon Lezion near Tel Aviv, causing damage but no casualties. Elsewhere, an 18 year old Israeli soldier has been killed, as well as a civilian in a separate attack.
Israeli army units, in place around the Gaza Strip, fire self-propelled artillery into the coastal enclave. They are poised to begin a ground invasion, should diplomatic efforts in Egypt come to nothing.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 2MH370: bad weather halts search as ‘unidentified material’ found on Australian coast
- 3War of words grows more heated as Russia accuses the US of ‘running the show’ in Ukraine
- 4Exhumations at suspected Serbia mass grave begin
- 5Transnistria territorially tempting to Russia
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Divers grapple with inhuman conditions as Sewol ferry salvage continues
- 5Dragon docks at International Space Station
Wires > News
- 12:44 CET U.S. official says Hamas-PLO government would prompt aid…
- 12:17 CET Three Americans killed in Kabul hospital attack
- 12:14 CET China says it will maintain patrols near Japan’s new island base
- 12:11 CET Former U.S. test site sues nuclear nations for disarmament failure
- 11:45 CET Libya faces enormous security challenge – U.S. diplomat
- 11:16 CET Obama reaffirms commitment to Japan on tour of Asia allies
- 10:56 CET U.N. Security Council members considering South Sudan sanctions
- 09:25 CET Wage talks resume as South Africa platinum strike marks 13th week