Israel and the Hamas leadership in Gaza have begun a ceasefire following a deal agreed on Wednesday.
The truce came into effect in the evening after the news was announced at a joint press conference in Cairo between US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the Egyptian foreign minister
Mohammed Kamel Amr.
Egypt has brokered the deal and is expected to monitor it.
After a week of cross-border bombardment both sides will stop firing at each other, and border crossings from Gaza into Israel should re-open.
But the Israeli blockade of Gaza is set to continue.
Latest world news
Public sector strike heightens industrial strife in Belgium
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
Wires > News
- 15:55 CET French court rules woman can use dead husband’s sperm
- 15:54 CET Libyan security forces pushing Islamic State back from vicinity of…
- 15:38 CET Italy arrests 16 suspected boat migrant traffickers
- 15:32 CET Almost 46 million people trapped in slavery with North Korea…
- 15:25 CET More Germans now moving from West to East
- 15:23 CET EU ships in Libyan waters would undermine Tripoli government -…
- 15:10 CET Former Miss Turkey sentenced to 14-months jail for insulting…
- 15:02 CET German minister says shouldn’t discuss ‘fantasy proposals’ for…