An explosion hit a bus in the heart of Tel Aviv on Wednesday, wounding at least 10 people in what officials said was a terrorist attack.
The blast shattered windows on the bus, which was driving on a street that runs alongside Israel’s defence headquarters.
Israel’s ambulance service said three of the wounded were in a moderate-to-serious condition.
“A bomb exploded on a bus in central Tel Aviv. This was aterrorist attack. Most of the injured suffered only mild injuries,” said Ofir Gendelman, a spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
In a message on Twitter, he said police were combing the area for the person who planted the device, apparently confirming reports that it was not a suicide attack.
Israeli media said a man had been arrested. The bombing happened on the eighth day of an Israeli offensive against the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip and threatened to complicate Egyptian-led efforts to secure a ceasefire.
Celebratory gunfire rang out in Gaza City when local radio stations reported news of the Tel Aviv explosion. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri praised the bombing, but stopped short of claiming responsibility. “Hamas blesses the attack in Tel Aviv and sees it as a natural response to the Israeli massacres…in Gaza,” he told Reuters.“Palestinian factions will resort to all means in order to protect our Palestinian civilians in the absence of a world effort to stop the Israeli aggression,” Abu Zuhri said.
The last time Israel’s commercial capital was hit by a serious bomb blast was in April 2006, when a Palestinian suicide bomber killed 11 people at a sandwich stand near the city’s old central bus station.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin takes control of Russia’s defence industries and calls for new weapons
- 2Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava
- 3Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 4Iceland’s latest volcano eruption worsens
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 63D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 9Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 10New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 11Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
- 14Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 15Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:00 CET Russia’s Sistema chairman under house arrest in Bashneft case
- 19:46 CET Islamic State shoots down Syrian war plane – monitor group
- 19:15 CET U.S. pledges 3,000 troops to fight Ebola; experts say more needed
- 18:34 CET Housing project helps South Africa’s platinum miners escape shanty…
- 18:28 CET Canadian government urged to support Bangladesh trust fund
- 18:25 CET Yemen clashes between Shi’ite rebels and tribesmen kill 22 -…
- 17:59 CET Belgian synagogue fire leads to arson investigation
- 17:53 CET U.N. says Palestinians, Israelis reach deal on Gaza reconstruction