21/11/12 11:15 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An explosion hit a bus in the heart of Tel Aviv on Wednesday, wounding at least 10 people in what officials said was a terrorist attack.
The blast shattered windows on the bus, which was driving on a street that runs alongside Israel’s defence headquarters.
Israel’s ambulance service said three of the wounded were in a moderate-to-serious condition.
“A bomb exploded on a bus in central Tel Aviv. This was aterrorist attack. Most of the injured suffered only mild injuries,” said Ofir Gendelman, a spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
In a message on Twitter, he said police were combing the area for the person who planted the device, apparently confirming reports that it was not a suicide attack.
Israeli media said a man had been arrested. The bombing happened on the eighth day of an Israeli offensive against the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip and threatened to complicate Egyptian-led efforts to secure a ceasefire.
Celebratory gunfire rang out in Gaza City when local radio stations reported news of the Tel Aviv explosion. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri praised the bombing, but stopped short of claiming responsibility. “Hamas blesses the attack in Tel Aviv and sees it as a natural response to the Israeli massacres…in Gaza,” he told Reuters.“Palestinian factions will resort to all means in order to protect our Palestinian civilians in the absence of a world effort to stop the Israeli aggression,” Abu Zuhri said.
The last time Israel’s commercial capital was hit by a serious bomb blast was in April 2006, when a Palestinian suicide bomber killed 11 people at a sandwich stand near the city’s old central bus station.
Wires > News
- 04:55 CET Peru’s Fujimori would hike corporate taxes, widen fiscal gap…
- 04:08 CET EU hate speech deal shows mounting pressures over internet content…
- 04:02 CET Airbus says EgyptAir strengthens case for ejectable ‘black boxes’
- 03:19 CET Leader of Western Sahara independence movement dies after illness
- 02:27 CET Four dead in collapse at South Korea subway construction site
- 02:08 CET Japan PM to postpone sales tax rise, snap election off table for…
- 01:32 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…
- 01:18 CET Combative Trump says he raised $5.6 million for vets, bashes media