An explosion hit a bus in the heart of Tel Aviv on Wednesday, wounding at least 10 people in what officials said was a terrorist attack.
The blast shattered windows on the bus, which was driving on a street that runs alongside Israel’s defence headquarters.
Israel’s ambulance service said three of the wounded were in a moderate-to-serious condition.
“A bomb exploded on a bus in central Tel Aviv. This was aterrorist attack. Most of the injured suffered only mild injuries,” said Ofir Gendelman, a spokesman for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
In a message on Twitter, he said police were combing the area for the person who planted the device, apparently confirming reports that it was not a suicide attack.
Israeli media said a man had been arrested. The bombing happened on the eighth day of an Israeli offensive against the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip and threatened to complicate Egyptian-led efforts to secure a ceasefire.
Celebratory gunfire rang out in Gaza City when local radio stations reported news of the Tel Aviv explosion. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri praised the bombing, but stopped short of claiming responsibility. “Hamas blesses the attack in Tel Aviv and sees it as a natural response to the Israeli massacres…in Gaza,” he told Reuters.“Palestinian factions will resort to all means in order to protect our Palestinian civilians in the absence of a world effort to stop the Israeli aggression,” Abu Zuhri said.
The last time Israel’s commercial capital was hit by a serious bomb blast was in April 2006, when a Palestinian suicide bomber killed 11 people at a sandwich stand near the city’s old central bus station.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 2Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 5Five years jail for Oscar Pistorius – but how many will he serve?
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 02:02 CET Canada police talked to militant suspect, couldn’t stop attack
- 02:01 CET North Korea unexpectedly frees American Jeffrey Fowle
- 00:57 CET Chilean president’s landmark education reform passes first hurdle
- 00:07 CET Insight – In Afghan north, Taliban gains ground and courts local…
- 23:17 CET Rival Libyan PM meets Turkish envoy in first known meeting with…
- 20:49 CET Egypt sentences to death seven suspected members of Ansar Bayt…
- 19:00 CET Poland’s speaker backs down from claim Putin proposed dividing…
- 18:54 CET War heroes and activists to shape new-look Ukraine parliament