It is calmer in and around Gaza today. The Israelis have decided to hold back their armour from entering Gaza’s tightly-packed streets, and give Egypt a chance to make a ceasefire with Hamas stick.
Fewer rockets were flying overhead in the direction of Israel. Fewer aircraft were prowling overhead, looking to strike back.
“We come to watch the bombing of Gaza”, said one Israeli.“They hit our cities, Sderot, Beer Sheva and Tel Aviv. they should suffer too.”
Most rockets that did get into the air were quickly swatted by Israel’s Iron Dome defence system. Most, but not all.
Beer Sheva was hit on Tuesday morning, along with Sderot. Residents, despite the escalation, are stoic; after all said one, they have sometimes had a hundred fall daily over the last 11 years. Life goes on.
In the bombed areas of Gaza life has come to a stop. The Islamic bank now lies in ruins, along with much of the adminstrative infrastructure.
This will prevent Hamas paying its government employees, once they can get back to work.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
At least 20 killed as two trains derail in central India
Israel approves detention without trial in crackdown on Jewish extremists
Appeal for international aid as floods kill hundreds in Myanmar and India
Croatia and Serbia mark the 20th anniversary of Operation Storm
Wires > News
- 08:10 CET Japan’s Abe asks Biden for investigation of possible U.S. spying
- 07:37 CET Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 07:34 CET Civilian casualties rise as Afghan war intensifies in 2015
- 06:14 CET Kerry, China’s Wang discuss South China Sea tensions
- 06:08 CET India floods derail two trains, killing at least 20; hundreds…
- 04:52 CET China appeals for U.S. help to fight Xinjiang militants
- 04:51 CET FBI looking into security of Clinton private email account -…
- 04:05 CET Fewer Germans going to Syria, Iraq to fight for Islamic State -…