It is calmer in and around Gaza today. The Israelis have decided to hold back their armour from entering Gaza’s tightly-packed streets, and give Egypt a chance to make a ceasefire with Hamas stick.
Fewer rockets were flying overhead in the direction of Israel. Fewer aircraft were prowling overhead, looking to strike back.
“We come to watch the bombing of Gaza”, said one Israeli.“They hit our cities, Sderot, Beer Sheva and Tel Aviv. they should suffer too.”
Most rockets that did get into the air were quickly swatted by Israel’s Iron Dome defence system. Most, but not all.
Beer Sheva was hit on Tuesday morning, along with Sderot. Residents, despite the escalation, are stoic; after all said one, they have sometimes had a hundred fall daily over the last 11 years. Life goes on.
In the bombed areas of Gaza life has come to a stop. The Islamic bank now lies in ruins, along with much of the adminstrative infrastructure.
This will prevent Hamas paying its government employees, once they can get back to work.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 04:54 CET Insight – In China food testing, safety inspectors are often one…
- 04:49 CET Bombs in Syria’s Aleppo kill 13 pro-Assad fighters – monitor
- 04:45 CET At least 24 dead in Guinea beach concert stampede
- 04:25 CET Colombia’s Santos says FARC attacks could end peace process
- 04:12 CET Most Americans see unaccompanied immigrant kids as refugees – poll
- 03:20 CET No safe haven in China’s corruption crackdown: People’s Daily
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student