It is calmer in and around Gaza today. The Israelis have decided to hold back their armour from entering Gaza’s tightly-packed streets, and give Egypt a chance to make a ceasefire with Hamas stick.
Fewer rockets were flying overhead in the direction of Israel. Fewer aircraft were prowling overhead, looking to strike back.
“We come to watch the bombing of Gaza”, said one Israeli.“They hit our cities, Sderot, Beer Sheva and Tel Aviv. they should suffer too.”
Most rockets that did get into the air were quickly swatted by Israel’s Iron Dome defence system. Most, but not all.
Beer Sheva was hit on Tuesday morning, along with Sderot. Residents, despite the escalation, are stoic; after all said one, they have sometimes had a hundred fall daily over the last 11 years. Life goes on.
In the bombed areas of Gaza life has come to a stop. The Islamic bank now lies in ruins, along with much of the adminstrative infrastructure.
This will prevent Hamas paying its government employees, once they can get back to work.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Partnering to grow Europe
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 18Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 09:22 CET North Korea says to freeze assets of South Korean firms at Kaesong
- 09:20 CET Exclusive – Australia directed officials how to address Nauru…
- 09:11 CET Dozens face riot charges over Hong Kong Lunar New Year violence
- 08:57 CET Thailand’s ‘sea gypsies’ fight for access to ancestral shrines
- 08:54 CET Bangladesh upholds death sentences over 2004 attack on British…
- 08:45 CET Greek navy helicopter crashes in Aegean, killing three
- 08:43 CET Angola says 37 dead in yellow fever outbreak
- 07:59 CET Australian looks set for climate sceptic deputy PM