It is calmer in and around Gaza today. The Israelis have decided to hold back their armour from entering Gaza’s tightly-packed streets, and give Egypt a chance to make a ceasefire with Hamas stick.
Fewer rockets were flying overhead in the direction of Israel. Fewer aircraft were prowling overhead, looking to strike back.
“We come to watch the bombing of Gaza”, said one Israeli.“They hit our cities, Sderot, Beer Sheva and Tel Aviv. they should suffer too.”
Most rockets that did get into the air were quickly swatted by Israel’s Iron Dome defence system. Most, but not all.
Beer Sheva was hit on Tuesday morning, along with Sderot. Residents, despite the escalation, are stoic; after all said one, they have sometimes had a hundred fall daily over the last 11 years. Life goes on.
In the bombed areas of Gaza life has come to a stop. The Islamic bank now lies in ruins, along with much of the adminstrative infrastructure.
This will prevent Hamas paying its government employees, once they can get back to work.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Philippines: Rodrigo Duterte sworn in as president
“Three Amigos” summit presents a united front
Both Britain’s main political parties seem headed for leadership battles
The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
euronews reporter trapped on the tarmac as airport attack raged
Wires > News
- 10:16 CET Turkish police raid suspected Islamic State cells in Istanbul…
- 10:06 CET Have met all criteria for visa-free travel to Europe – Turkey’s …
- 09:25 CET Beijing slams South China Sea case as court ruling nears
- 08:59 CET Japan says Chinese military activity in East China Sea escalating
- 08:58 CET At least 18 killed by a roadside bomb in Somalia
- 07:07 CET Mongolia’s opposition MPP sweeps back to power on country’s…
- 06:41 CET Philippines’ Duterte sworn as president, rails against crime
- 05:01 CET North Korea’s Dear Respected Comrade leader gets a new title