An earlier Hamas announcement that a ceasefire with Israel has been agreed appears premature.
A Hamas official now claims that the truce has been held up because the Israeli government has yet to respond to the proposals.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in the region and has met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Mrs Clinton will then move on the West Bank to meet with Palestinian leaders before arriving in Cairo for talks with President Mursi.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 4Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 15:29 CET Somali lawmaker killed in Mogadishu, fifth since April
- 15:13 CET Myanmar military releases 91 child soldiers
- 14:52 CET India’s Congress slams book challenging party chief Sonia Gandhi
- 14:49 CET Exclusive: China’s Xi likely to promote army general who exposed…
- 13:42 CET Ugandan constitutional court strikes down anti-homosexuality law
- 13:36 CET Court rejects request to arrest Kremlin critic Navalny
- 12:51 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid
- 12:47 CET Islamic State imposes media controls in Syrian province