20/11/12 17:16 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
An earlier Hamas announcement that a ceasefire with Israel has been agreed appears premature.
A Hamas official now claims that the truce has been held up because the Israeli government has yet to respond to the proposals.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in the region and has met with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Mrs Clinton will then move on the West Bank to meet with Palestinian leaders before arriving in Cairo for talks with President Mursi.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Armed police to patrol French beaches
Wires > News
- 11:39 CET Taiwan Navy fires missile in error as China’s Communists mark…
- 11:33 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels seize pilot -…
- 11:22 CET Czech president urges referendum on EU, NATO, says would back…
- 11:17 CET A Brexit warning from Switzerland: beware votes on free movement
- 11:16 CET Six killed in gun attack on two buses in Kenya’s Mandera
- 11:15 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 10:59 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 10:34 CET Vietnamese scoff at bike-ban plan as motorcycles engulf capital