A court in Croatia has sentenced former prime minister Ivo Sanader to 10 years in prison.
Sanader, who ruled Croatia from 2003 until a shock resignation in 2009, fled the country shortly before several indictments for corruption were issued.
Arrested in Austria the following December, he was extradicted in 2011, with the whole trial taking a year.
Sanader was found guilty of war profiteering and accepting bribes from two foreign companies, Austria’s Hypo Alpe Adria bank, and Hungary’s MOL energy.
Sanader has always protested his innocence and says he will appeal. He was also fined nearly five and a half million euros.
He also stands accused in several other corruption cases.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Further gunfire, but also war of words over crisis in Ukraine
- 2Kenya government vows to hunt down al-Shabaab bus attack killers
- 3Recording of Philae probe landing on Comet 67P released
- 4Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 5Spain: Singer Isabel Pantoja jailed for two years
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 11:53 CET Israeli forces kill Palestinian along Gaza border – Palestinian…
- 11:48 CET Zimbabwe’s Mugabe tightens grip on party, to choose successor
- 11:47 CET Two senior Thai police face royal insult charge as cases mount
- 11:45 CET Putin says Russia is not isolated over Ukraine crisis – TASS
- 11:37 CET Iraqi forces battle Islamic State in towns north of Baghdad
- 11:28 CET Iran says nuclear deal ‘impossible’ by November 24 deadline – ISNA
- 09:00 CET Bangladesh arrests woman leader of militant outfit
- 09:00 CET Voting gets underway in Tunisian presidential election