A court in Croatia has sentenced former prime minister Ivo Sanader to 10 years in prison.
Sanader, who ruled Croatia from 2003 until a shock resignation in 2009, fled the country shortly before several indictments for corruption were issued.
Arrested in Austria the following December, he was extradicted in 2011, with the whole trial taking a year.
Sanader was found guilty of war profiteering and accepting bribes from two foreign companies, Austria’s Hypo Alpe Adria bank, and Hungary’s MOL energy.
Sanader has always protested his innocence and says he will appeal. He was also fined nearly five and a half million euros.
He also stands accused in several other corruption cases.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 2Rescuers in China get aid through to quake-struck village on foot
- 3Two gunmen shot dead at art show featuring Mohammad cartoons in Texas
- 4Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 5UK election: still too close to call, according to latest polls
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:46 CET Islamic State takes responsibility for Texas cartoon exhibit attack
- 15:44 CET Iran’s allies, not atoms, preoccupy Israeli generals
- 15:29 CET U.N. kicks off Syria talks, hopes opposition fighters will come
- 15:16 CET Yemen talks May 17 could bolster anti-Houthi alliance
- 13:54 CET Saudi king says setting up centre to coordinate Yemen humanitarian…
- 13:51 CET China says Philippines violating South China Sea code
- 12:39 CET France, Saudi Arabia – Iran nuclear deal must be verifiable, no…
- 12:35 CET Burundi’s top court says president can run again, angering…