A video posted on the Internet has sent a stark message to the newly formed Syrian opposition coalition and the west.
In it a group of extremist Islamist claim they have formed an “Islamic state” in the embattled city of Aleppo.
The words and tone underline the group wants nothing to do with the Western-backed bloc rejecting what it called a, “foreign project”.
The video has not been independently verified but was released on a website which carries al-Qaida statements.
The head of the new coalition has, according to reports announced it will make its headquarters in Egypt. Mouaz Alkhatib was speaking after a meeting in Cairo with the country’s Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr.
Details are scant and a short statement released by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry after Monday’s meeting made no reference to whether the new coalition would move to Cairo., but pledged, “all means of assistance to the Syrian coalition”.
Like France Italy has decided to give the Syrian National Coalition recognition. A government spokesman said it was giving the coalition “political” recognition, not diplomatic.
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Wires > News
- 02:59 CET Plane debris found on Indian Ocean island points to MH370…
- 02:15 CET Mexico approves U.S. extradition warrant for fugitive kingpin…
- 00:24 CET Brazil’s Rousseff announces more education spending cuts
- 00:11 CET Checked bag fees are here to stay – United Airlines CEO
- 00:11 CET Greece’s Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote
- 23:37 CET Canada’s election campaign seen starting Sunday
- 23:19 CET U.S. political fight over Iran nuclear deal goes Hollywood
- 22:32 CET Pentagon chief gives nod to arm more troops in U.S. after shooting