19/11/12 18:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A video posted on the Internet has sent a stark message to the newly formed Syrian opposition coalition and the west.
In it a group of extremist Islamist claim they have formed an “Islamic state” in the embattled city of Aleppo.
The words and tone underline the group wants nothing to do with the Western-backed bloc rejecting what it called a, “foreign project”.
The video has not been independently verified but was released on a website which carries al-Qaida statements.
The head of the new coalition has, according to reports announced it will make its headquarters in Egypt. Mouaz Alkhatib was speaking after a meeting in Cairo with the country’s Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr.
Details are scant and a short statement released by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry after Monday’s meeting made no reference to whether the new coalition would move to Cairo., but pledged, “all means of assistance to the Syrian coalition”.
Like France Italy has decided to give the Syrian National Coalition recognition. A government spokesman said it was giving the coalition “political” recognition, not diplomatic.
- 1Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 2Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 3What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 4‘No need to be nasty’ Merkel wants clear-headed Brexit talks
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Brexit crisis hits UK Labour opposition as revolt threatens Corbyn leadership
Hundreds of West African migrants rescued in Mediterranean taken to Italy
Myanmar burns large pile of heroin and marijuana on UN anti-drugs day
US National Guard help rescue effort in flood-hit West Virginia
Millions sign referendum re-run petition
Wires > News
- 13:20 CET British EU exit turmoil alarms Asia, rocks Labour opposition
- 12:36 CET China bus fire kills 35
- 11:57 CET Iran supreme leader – Bahrain’s move against top cleric risks…
- 11:40 CET Iraqi forces retake Islamic State holdout in Falluja
- 11:22 CET Islamic State militants launch new attacks in eastern Afghanistan
- 11:21 CET Assailant gets life for Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing spree
- 10:45 CET Kenya aims to cut size of Somali refugee camp by about half by…
- 09:59 CET Australian PM urges stability vote in national poll after Brexit…