A video posted on the Internet has sent a stark message to the newly formed Syrian opposition coalition and the west.
In it a group of extremist Islamist claim they have formed an “Islamic state” in the embattled city of Aleppo.
The words and tone underline the group wants nothing to do with the Western-backed bloc rejecting what it called a, “foreign project”.
The video has not been independently verified but was released on a website which carries al-Qaida statements.
The head of the new coalition has, according to reports announced it will make its headquarters in Egypt. Mouaz Alkhatib was speaking after a meeting in Cairo with the country’s Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr.
Details are scant and a short statement released by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry after Monday’s meeting made no reference to whether the new coalition would move to Cairo., but pledged, “all means of assistance to the Syrian coalition”.
Like France Italy has decided to give the Syrian National Coalition recognition. A government spokesman said it was giving the coalition “political” recognition, not diplomatic.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Greeks like the sound of Syriza talking tough, but hope it has more than just words to offer
- 273-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 3Podemos holds biggest rally yet in Spanish capital and promises election earthquake
- 4Fighting rages in eastern Ukraine as government forces struggle to hold back pro-Russian offensive
- 5ISIL posts video of the beheading of second Japanese hostage Kenji Goto
- 173-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 2Funeral of singer Demis Roussos held in Athens
- 3No more Troika talks as Greece seeks new debt deal
- 4Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 544 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 373-year-old Sicilian Sergio Mattarella is Italy’s new president
- 4Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:36 CET Explosion near Damascus market kills at least four
- 13:28 CET Suicide bomber kills 10 people in northeast Nigeria’s Potiskum
- 13:27 CET Germany’s AfD founder reclaims control of eurosceptic party
- 13:22 CET A week in and Greece’s new leftist PM sticks to tough line, for now
- 12:56 CET East Ukraine death toll mounts after peace talks fail
- 12:34 CET Syria aims to ‘flush out all terrorists’ in 2015 – PM
- 11:16 CET Pro-democracy protesters back in Hong Kong, no violence
- 11:09 CET Greece shakes Europe’s political kaleidoscope – expect the…