A video posted on the Internet has sent a stark message to the newly formed Syrian opposition coalition and the west.
In it a group of extremist Islamist claim they have formed an “Islamic state” in the embattled city of Aleppo.
The words and tone underline the group wants nothing to do with the Western-backed bloc rejecting what it called a, “foreign project”.
The video has not been independently verified but was released on a website which carries al-Qaida statements.
The head of the new coalition has, according to reports announced it will make its headquarters in Egypt. Mouaz Alkhatib was speaking after a meeting in Cairo with the country’s Foreign Minister Mohamed Amr.
Details are scant and a short statement released by the Egyptian Foreign Ministry after Monday’s meeting made no reference to whether the new coalition would move to Cairo., but pledged, “all means of assistance to the Syrian coalition”.
Like France Italy has decided to give the Syrian National Coalition recognition. A government spokesman said it was giving the coalition “political” recognition, not diplomatic.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:16 CET Italian nun moves towards sainthood in first Kenyan ceremony
- 13:14 CET As tensions ease, Cyprus leaders enjoy coffee and cake in capital
- 11:53 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults: PM Medvedev
- 11:39 CET Islamic State raises flag over citadel in Syria’s Palmyra -…
- 11:34 CET Ireland backs gay marriage in historic vote, ministers say
- 09:35 CET China and Peru agree to study transcontinental rail link
- 09:31 CET Suicide bomber kills 21 at Saudi Shi’ite mosque, Islamic State…
- 07:28 CET Dispute over Mideast nuclear arms ban torpedoes U.N. conference