18/11/12 22:57 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A second day of protests in France against gay marriage attracted more than 100,000 people.
Largely organised by Catholic groups, Sunday’s demonstrations added to a weekend which saw opponents of proposed legislation, backed by the socialist government and due to be deliberated on in January.
The protesters say allowing gay marriages is a step too far.
“We already have the Pacs (gender-neutral civil union) for this, there are loads of measures which already exist. It seems the government is trying to destroy the family and social model,” said Bertrand Guerbet.
Scuffles broke out during at one event in Paris, as members of the Ukrainian group Femen let off harmless smoke and clashed with the anti-gay marriage demonstrators. Security used teargas to disperse those fighting.
The feminists are known for carrying out topless protests targeting religious institutions and against sex trafficking.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Latest world news
Istanbul attack: suspected bombers ‘from Russia, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan’
Boris Johnson pulls out of race to be UK PM
Boris Johnson says he won’t run to be next UK prime minister
Oscars invites record number of members in effort to push diversity
Arrests in Turkey after Ataturk Airport atrocity
Wires > News
- 16:51 CET Human smugglers hail Uber drivers to take migrants to U.S.-Mexico…
- 16:45 CET Best foot forward – Thai elephant gets her ninth prosthetic leg
- 16:44 CET Islamic State kills Christian priest in Egypt’s North Sinai
- 16:43 CET U.S. court dismisses case against Turkish opponent of Erdogan -…
- 16:06 CET Croatia puts up barriers on border bridge with Serbia
- 16:04 CET In Jerusalem, a cracked soccer pitch reflects wider fissures
- 15:55 CET Hungary minister says might vote to quit EU if government held…
- 15:46 CET U.S. Joint Base Andrews on lockdown over active shooter report