A second day of protests in France against gay marriage attracted more than 100,000 people.
Largely organised by Catholic groups, Sunday’s demonstrations added to a weekend which saw opponents of proposed legislation, backed by the socialist government and due to be deliberated on in January.
The protesters say allowing gay marriages is a step too far.
“We already have the Pacs (gender-neutral civil union) for this, there are loads of measures which already exist. It seems the government is trying to destroy the family and social model,” said Bertrand Guerbet.
Scuffles broke out during at one event in Paris, as members of the Ukrainian group Femen let off harmless smoke and clashed with the anti-gay marriage demonstrators. Security used teargas to disperse those fighting.
The feminists are known for carrying out topless protests targeting religious institutions and against sex trafficking.
- 1Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 2Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 3Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 4Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 5Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
Malaysia: Protesters demand resignation of PM Najib Razak over financial scandal
Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
Thai police arrest ‘Turkish’ man over Bangkok bombing
Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
Wires > News
- 02:19 CET American arrested on Sierra Leone ‘blood diamond’ charges
- 23:40 CET Egyptian court sentences three Al Jazeera journalists to prison
- 22:15 CET Turkish opposition leader says talks would secure Kurdish ceasefire
- 21:10 CET Refugee children, close to death, found in van in Austria
- 19:19 CET European ministers agree more railway security, urge Schengen…
- 19:11 CET Myanmar bans parties from criticising army in state media
- 17:55 CET Christian group occupies Philippine highway for second night
- 16:20 CET Iran’s Rouhani says military power not affected by nuclear deal -…