18/11/12 22:57 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A second day of protests in France against gay marriage attracted more than 100,000 people.
Largely organised by Catholic groups, Sunday’s demonstrations added to a weekend which saw opponents of proposed legislation, backed by the socialist government and due to be deliberated on in January.
The protesters say allowing gay marriages is a step too far.
“We already have the Pacs (gender-neutral civil union) for this, there are loads of measures which already exist. It seems the government is trying to destroy the family and social model,” said Bertrand Guerbet.
Scuffles broke out during at one event in Paris, as members of the Ukrainian group Femen let off harmless smoke and clashed with the anti-gay marriage demonstrators. Security used teargas to disperse those fighting.
The feminists are known for carrying out topless protests targeting religious institutions and against sex trafficking.
- 1The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 4Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 5Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 01:23 CET Azerbaijan frees journalist whose case raised outcry in West
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…