More than 100,000 people have marched in cities across France against government plans to approve same-sex marriage and adoption.
Carrying numerous banners the protesters criticised the government which has come under fire from catholic and right-wing groups.
One protester said she was worried about the future: “I think a child needs a father and a mother, the paternal and the maternal sides and with this bill it might not be possible any longer.
In the city of Lyon, religious leaders joined in the rally after the Pope urged the French church to make its voice heard.
In Toulouse pro and anti supporters clashed with police who tried to keep separate demonstrations apart.
Parliament is due to debate the cabinet-backed bill early next year.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 2Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 3German police remove items from flight 9525 co-pilot’s homes
- 4Author Scott Westerfeld captures dramatic footage after New York gas explosion
- 5Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 18:03 CET Islamist fighters kill seven in Somali hotel, officials trapped
- 18:00 CET Congo Republic president says expects referendum over third term
- 17:56 CET Israel says it will release frozen tax revenue to Palestinians
- 17:40 CET Six children wounded when old bomb explodes in Lebanon
- 17:39 CET Sweden’s Tomas Transtromer, Nobel prize-winning poet, dies at 83
- 17:36 CET Ukraine arrests Turkish cargo ship over Crimea port call
- 17:32 CET Power returns to Amsterdam after outage hits a million homes
- 17:31 CET Jail for Zimbabwe men who publicly stripped woman hoped to deter…