More than 100,000 people have marched in cities across France against government plans to approve same-sex marriage and adoption.
Carrying numerous banners the protesters criticised the government which has come under fire from catholic and right-wing groups.
One protester said she was worried about the future: “I think a child needs a father and a mother, the paternal and the maternal sides and with this bill it might not be possible any longer.
In the city of Lyon, religious leaders joined in the rally after the Pope urged the French church to make its voice heard.
In Toulouse pro and anti supporters clashed with police who tried to keep separate demonstrations apart.
Parliament is due to debate the cabinet-backed bill early next year.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
USA: Israeli spy Pollard to be released after 30 years in jail
Outrage after Zimbabwe’s Cecil the lion is killed by an American dentist
Ukraine bans French actor Gerard Depardieu over support for Crimea annexation
NATO backs Turkey in its fight against militants in Syria and Iraq
Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
Wires > News
- 07:45 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy
- 07:41 CET Bahrain identifies suspects in Tuesday’s bombings – report
- 07:35 CET Amari says Japan, U.S. need more bilateral trade talks
- 06:54 CET Pakistan police say kill leader of banned sectarian group
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State