More than 100,000 people have marched in cities across France against government plans to approve same-sex marriage and adoption.
Carrying numerous banners the protesters criticised the government which has come under fire from catholic and right-wing groups.
One protester said she was worried about the future: “I think a child needs a father and a mother, the paternal and the maternal sides and with this bill it might not be possible any longer.
In the city of Lyon, religious leaders joined in the rally after the Pope urged the French church to make its voice heard.
In Toulouse pro and anti supporters clashed with police who tried to keep separate demonstrations apart.
Parliament is due to debate the cabinet-backed bill early next year.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 2Rescuers in China get aid through to quake-struck village on foot
- 3Two gunmen shot dead at art show featuring Mohammad cartoons in Texas
- 4UK election: still too close to call, according to latest polls
- 5Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 19International news | euronews, latest international news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:30 CET Central African Republic opens forum that aims to end conflict
- 21:13 CET Gunman in Mohammad cartoon attack in Texas monitored for years
- 20:46 CET Nigeria’s Boko Haram in disarray as government forces advance
- 20:39 CET Lithuania detains suspected Russian spy – prosecutor’s office
- 19:41 CET U.S. cannot confirm al Qaeda claim in blogger’s killing in…
- 19:37 CET Italy parliament passes Renzi’s electoral reform
- 19:33 CET Afghan talks agree on reopening Taliban political office
- 19:31 CET Senegal to send 2,100 troops to join Saudi-led alliance