Minor clashes broke out in Amman on Friday night between supporters and opposers of King Abdullah II of Jordan.
Thousands of demonstrators chanted the Arab Spring slogan “the people want the downfall of the regime”.
The country has avoided the unrest that has swept through the region over the past two years, but a decision to raise fuel prices has sparked protests and unrest.
The incidents took place near Amman’s wasfi al-Tal Square with supporters of the regime attacking protestors. The violence comes after three days of protests.
Demonstrations outside the capital since Wednesday had turned violent in areas inhabited mainly by tribes, who now form part of the minority. They are outnumbered by Jordanians of Palestinian origin.
The ruler cancelled a visit to London he had been due to make next week, without giving details for the decision.
Instability in Jordan would come at a dangerous time for the region, with Syria’s war continuing and the Israel – Gaza crisis escalating.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 3Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali