Thousands have turned out in cities across Egypt to protest against the Israeli airstrikes on Gaza
Many carried banners pledging support for the Palestinian enclave in the face of what some described as “blatant aggresssion”.
In Tunis as many as 4,000 are reported to have marched through the streets. For many in the country where the Arab Spring uprisings began, the plight of those living in Gaza has turned into another cause.
“We are calling for solidarity from the people of Arab Spring countries, to support the Palestinians and Gaza people to resist the occupation,” said one protester.
Tunisia’s government has called for an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council proposing sanctions against Israel.
And in Turkey hundreds marched towards Israel’s consulate in Istanbul.
Once close allies, Turkey’s prime minister has accused Israeli leaders of ordering the offensive against Gaza militants while keeping one eye on legislative elections in January.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 4UN on human rights in Ukraine: ‘stop lies, propaganda and inciting hatred’
- 5[Live] Ukraine: NATO reinforces Eastern Europe Defences as Pro-Russian progress in Donetsk and Kramatorsk
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 14:37 CET Egyptian court jails 119 Mursi supporters
- 14:37 CET Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signalling compliance
- 14:35 CET Megaupload’s Dotcom, facing legal threat, launches political party
- 14:02 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 13:59 CET Yemen’s al Qaeda leader vows to attack America in new video
- 13:39 CET Russia mulls lawsuit against United States in WTO over sanctions
- 13:13 CET Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes – coastguard
- 12:34 CET Palestinians, Israeli police clash at Jerusalem holy site