A tornado has struck Portugal’s Algarve coastline injuring 13 people.
The strong winds and heavy rain took locals by surprise in a country not used to such violent climatic conditions.
The city of Lagoa and popular tourist town of Silves took a direct hit.
“It began to rain a lot and it was very windy, the ground started shaking. I held the window and suddenly everything started breaking in my hands, and it came into my house – everything is destroyed,” said one victim.
A trail of destruction has left hundreds of people homeless and some of the injured had to be cut free from their cars after the swirling winds tossed their vehicles into the air.
- 1The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 4Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 5Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 01:23 CET Azerbaijan frees journalist whose case raised outcry in West
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…