Gazans fearing a major Israeli assault by land and air have been stocking up on fuel and food.
There are 1.8 million people living in Gaza one of the most densely populated areas on the planet and Israel’s five year blockade of the strip makes food difficult to find at the best of times.
Muhammad Aref, Gaza resident:
“Like before any war that starts, we are worried. We are scared of food shortages. Many families gather together during times of war, we are a big family and we need plenty of supplies,” said Mohammed Aref a resident of the strip:
Power in Gaza is supplied by generators and there are fears that fuel will soon run out. Hospitals are overflowing and the population nervous:
“We are asking Arab governments, especially in Egypt and President Morsi, to help us and provide Gaza with oil, we need it for our cars, so we can help injured people to get medical help, plus we can help others carry food supplies,” urged another Gazan.
During the 2008-2009 Israel/Hamas conflict 1,434 Gazans died, this time round there are fears many more will lose their lives.
- 1Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 2Greece: with referendum looming ‘Yes’ vote ahead, opinion poll suggests
- 3Finland tops European countries in latest happiness survey
- 4Thousands rally in France in support of Greek “no” vote
- 5Tsipras: ‘no’ vote will mean a better deal with lenders
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 12‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 19Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 05:28 CET Japan pledges $6 billion to Mekong nations as China prepares new…
- 04:44 CET Honduras stages biggest march yet to demand president step down
- 04:12 CET Panama top court approves third probe against ex-president…
- 02:44 CET Guatemala Congress committee recommends ending Perez’s immunity
- 02:22 CET Pilot killed in Colorado crash of medical transport helicopter
- 01:41 CET France’s Hollande says ready to hold new summit on Boko Haram
- 00:35 CET Yemen’s Houthis attack Saudi Arabia’s Najran and Jizan
- 00:19 CET At least 25 Syrian al Qaeda members dead in mosque blast in…