Gazans fearing a major Israeli assault by land and air have been stocking up on fuel and food.
There are 1.8 million people living in Gaza one of the most densely populated areas on the planet and Israel’s five year blockade of the strip makes food difficult to find at the best of times.
Muhammad Aref, Gaza resident:
“Like before any war that starts, we are worried. We are scared of food shortages. Many families gather together during times of war, we are a big family and we need plenty of supplies,” said Mohammed Aref a resident of the strip:
Power in Gaza is supplied by generators and there are fears that fuel will soon run out. Hospitals are overflowing and the population nervous:
“We are asking Arab governments, especially in Egypt and President Morsi, to help us and provide Gaza with oil, we need it for our cars, so we can help injured people to get medical help, plus we can help others carry food supplies,” urged another Gazan.
During the 2008-2009 Israel/Hamas conflict 1,434 Gazans died, this time round there are fears many more will lose their lives.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student
- 22:28 CET EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 22:19 CET France names ex-finance minister Moscovici as EU commissioner…
- 22:10 CET Sierra Leone’s top Ebola doctor dies from virus
- 21:06 CET Romania’s leftist PM launches candidacy in presidential election
- 20:17 CET Iraq’s Kurds have right to sell oil while squeezed by Baghdad – MP
- 20:11 CET American opinion of Arabs, Muslims is getting worse- poll