Gazans fearing a major Israeli assault by land and air have been stocking up on fuel and food.
There are 1.8 million people living in Gaza one of the most densely populated areas on the planet and Israel’s five year blockade of the strip makes food difficult to find at the best of times.
Muhammad Aref, Gaza resident:
“Like before any war that starts, we are worried. We are scared of food shortages. Many families gather together during times of war, we are a big family and we need plenty of supplies,” said Mohammed Aref a resident of the strip:
Power in Gaza is supplied by generators and there are fears that fuel will soon run out. Hospitals are overflowing and the population nervous:
“We are asking Arab governments, especially in Egypt and President Morsi, to help us and provide Gaza with oil, we need it for our cars, so we can help injured people to get medical help, plus we can help others carry food supplies,” urged another Gazan.
During the 2008-2009 Israel/Hamas conflict 1,434 Gazans died, this time round there are fears many more will lose their lives.
- 1‘Tourists go home’ say Spanish locals in backlash to holiday boom
- 2EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
- 3Fears grow for missing Japanese boy left in woods as punishment
- 4Belgium facing more strike chaos
- 5More transport chaos in France in standoff over labour reforms
Latest world news
Delays and cancellations as French unions begin indefinite transport strike
Ex-Miss Turkey gets suspended sentence for insulting president
WHO advises two months of safe sex for Zika prevention
Police to investigate Cincinnati Zoo gorilla shooting
The world’s longest train tunnel inaugurated
Wires > News
- 07:11 CET North Korea’s missile and nuclear projects unacceptable, Japan…
- 07:08 CET Falluja children face extreme violence, UNICEF says
- 07:08 CET Japan PM to postpone sales tax rise, snap election off table for…
- 07:02 CET Trepidation lingers as Canada wildfire evacuees begin to return
- 06:25 CET Exclusive: U.S.-backed Syria forces launch offensive for Manbij…
- 06:20 CET China says first stealth fighter not yet in service, but coming…
- 05:40 CET In-law of Mexico striker Pulido nabbed for alleged role in his…
- 05:27 CET As Beijing flexes muscles in South China Sea, Malaysia eyes harder…