Gazans fearing a major Israeli assault by land and air have been stocking up on fuel and food.
There are 1.8 million people living in Gaza one of the most densely populated areas on the planet and Israel’s five year blockade of the strip makes food difficult to find at the best of times.
Muhammad Aref, Gaza resident:
“Like before any war that starts, we are worried. We are scared of food shortages. Many families gather together during times of war, we are a big family and we need plenty of supplies,” said Mohammed Aref a resident of the strip:
Power in Gaza is supplied by generators and there are fears that fuel will soon run out. Hospitals are overflowing and the population nervous:
“We are asking Arab governments, especially in Egypt and President Morsi, to help us and provide Gaza with oil, we need it for our cars, so we can help injured people to get medical help, plus we can help others carry food supplies,” urged another Gazan.
During the 2008-2009 Israel/Hamas conflict 1,434 Gazans died, this time round there are fears many more will lose their lives.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Solar Impulse aircraft lands in Phoenix, Arizona
Corsican separatists to end military campaign
Lady Gaga attends Fashion and technology expo in NY
Venezuela opposition collects signatures in bid to oust President Maduro
Wires > News
- 10:24 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 09:27 CET Turkish military returns fire into Syria after rockets hit border…
- 09:23 CET Spanish police arrest four accused of promoting Islamist militancy
- 09:20 CET Air strikes hit Islamic State stronghold in Syria – monitor
- 09:01 CET Baby girl pulled out alive three days after Kenya building…
- 08:41 CET After brawl, Turkish parliament committee votes to lift lawmakers‘…
- 08:32 CET Fire destroys 50 shelters in Myanmar camp for displaced – witness
- 07:56 CET Two Turkish soldiers, five Kurdish militants killed in attack