Gazans fearing a major Israeli assault by land and air have been stocking up on fuel and food.
There are 1.8 million people living in Gaza one of the most densely populated areas on the planet and Israel’s five year blockade of the strip makes food difficult to find at the best of times.
Muhammad Aref, Gaza resident:
“Like before any war that starts, we are worried. We are scared of food shortages. Many families gather together during times of war, we are a big family and we need plenty of supplies,” said Mohammed Aref a resident of the strip:
Power in Gaza is supplied by generators and there are fears that fuel will soon run out. Hospitals are overflowing and the population nervous:
“We are asking Arab governments, especially in Egypt and President Morsi, to help us and provide Gaza with oil, we need it for our cars, so we can help injured people to get medical help, plus we can help others carry food supplies,” urged another Gazan.
During the 2008-2009 Israel/Hamas conflict 1,434 Gazans died, this time round there are fears many more will lose their lives.
Wires > News
- 17:28 CET Militants kill five, target telecoms in Indian Kashmir attacks
- 17:25 CET Houthis suffer first serious setback in south Yemen fighting -…
- 16:57 CET Burkina Faso exhumes remains of former president Sankara in murder…
- 16:54 CET Congo soldiers clash with Rwandan rebels in transit camp
- 16:19 CET Germany protests Russia’s ejection of conservative MP from Moscow
- 16:15 CET Gunman takes hostages after killing two in northeast Ukraine
- 15:26 CET Tunisian soldier shot dead after killing seven in army base…
- 14:33 CET Greece wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently