Gazans fearing a major Israeli assault by land and air have been stocking up on fuel and food.
There are 1.8 million people living in Gaza one of the most densely populated areas on the planet and Israel’s five year blockade of the strip makes food difficult to find at the best of times.
Muhammad Aref, Gaza resident:
“Like before any war that starts, we are worried. We are scared of food shortages. Many families gather together during times of war, we are a big family and we need plenty of supplies,” said Mohammed Aref a resident of the strip:
Power in Gaza is supplied by generators and there are fears that fuel will soon run out. Hospitals are overflowing and the population nervous:
“We are asking Arab governments, especially in Egypt and President Morsi, to help us and provide Gaza with oil, we need it for our cars, so we can help injured people to get medical help, plus we can help others carry food supplies,” urged another Gazan.
During the 2008-2009 Israel/Hamas conflict 1,434 Gazans died, this time round there are fears many more will lose their lives.
Latest world news
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
North Korea missile test off east coast ‘fails’, says Seoul
Migrants rescued adrift on new Greece-Italy sea route
Brazilian police make arrests in videoed gang rape case
Wires > News
- 11:40 CET India unveils first-ever comprehensive draft law on human…
- 11:37 CET Number of Afghans uprooted by violence doubles, a million “on…
- 11:22 CET Bangladesh sentences six militants to death for bank robbery
- 11:20 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 11:18 CET Hamas executes three convicted Palestinians in Gaza
- 11:17 CET WHO advises eight weeks of safe sex after return from Zika areas
- 10:54 CET China to ‘pressure’ U.S. on maritime issues, paper says
- 10:39 CET Japan lower house defeats no-confidence motion against Abe’s…