Gazans fearing a major Israeli assault by land and air have been stocking up on fuel and food.
There are 1.8 million people living in Gaza one of the most densely populated areas on the planet and Israel’s five year blockade of the strip makes food difficult to find at the best of times.
Muhammad Aref, Gaza resident:
“Like before any war that starts, we are worried. We are scared of food shortages. Many families gather together during times of war, we are a big family and we need plenty of supplies,” said Mohammed Aref a resident of the strip:
Power in Gaza is supplied by generators and there are fears that fuel will soon run out. Hospitals are overflowing and the population nervous:
“We are asking Arab governments, especially in Egypt and President Morsi, to help us and provide Gaza with oil, we need it for our cars, so we can help injured people to get medical help, plus we can help others carry food supplies,” urged another Gazan.
During the 2008-2009 Israel/Hamas conflict 1,434 Gazans died, this time round there are fears many more will lose their lives.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Russia sanctions threaten to rebound on EU
- 2Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Israeli strike kills 19 Palestinians near Gaza market
- 5India: entire village buried under massive mudslide
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
Wires > News
- 06:51 CET Some WTO members discussing customs deal without India – sources
- 05:17 CET El Salvador detains Spanish priest for smuggling cell phones into…
- 23:05 CET Drug-resistant malaria reaches Southeast Asia borders, could…
- 21:47 CET Hezbollah commander killed in Iraq-sources
- 21:07 CET Kerry presses India on global trade deal as deadline looms
- 20:14 CET Shi’ite militia hangs up 15 executed Sunnis in Iraqi square
- 19:50 CET U.S. blacklists North Korea shipping firms over arms shipments
- 18:01 CET South Korea president’s party wins vote, green light for economic…