17/11/12 05:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Mobilised and on their way to the border – along with full-time soldiers, Israel’s cabinet has given the military the go-ahead to call up 75,000 reservists for a possible Gaza invasion.
The move comes after Palestinian militants fired a rocket towards Jerusalem for the first time in decades.
Tel Aviv has also come under rocket fire in defiance of an Israeli air offensive aimed at stopping the militant rocket attacks.
Over night there were further Israeli air strikes on Gaza City. A compound belonging to Hamas, the Islamist group which runs the Gaza Strip, was hit.
Israel has blocked access to three major routes leading into Gaza declaring it a “military zone”, increasing speculation that a ground attack is imminent.
Since Wednesday when Israel killed Hamas’s military chief, officials say at least 29 Palestinians have died including several children. Three Israelis were killed in a rocket attack on Thursday.
US President Barack Obama has spoken with both Egypts’s President Mohamed Morsi commending his efforts to start negotiating a truce while discussing ways of de-escalating the situation with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
- 1The strategic map of the the offensive against ISIL
- 2Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 3Germany: Pegida objects to Kinder using images of non-white children on its chocolate wrappers
- 4Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 5Overcrowded fishing boat capsizes off Italian coast, 500 migrants rescued
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Brazil in crisis after leaked tape forces out interim President’s ally
- 3EgyptAir crash: suggestions of explosion on board ‘mere assumptions’ – official
- 4A handshake, a kiss and a hug at historic meeting of Catholic and Muslim leaders
- 5French union blockades spark petrol shortages
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 01:23 CET Azerbaijan frees journalist whose case raised outcry in West
- 22:51 CET Guinean sailors arrested after clash with Sierra Leone navy
- 22:27 CET French, Italian firms to help search for EgyptAir black boxes
- 22:16 CET U.N. concerned by rising political tension in Congo ahead of vote
- 22:01 CET Obama administration officials warn lawmakers over Iran sanctions
- 21:38 CET Exclusive – EU launches contingency talks for Brexit vote: sources
- 21:28 CET U.S. says new Israeli coalition raises ‘legitimate questions’
- 21:13 CET Islamic State claims fatal stabbing of Bangladeshi Hindu -monitor…