Mobilised and on their way to the border – along with full-time soldiers, Israel’s cabinet has given the military the go-ahead to call up 75,000 reservists for a possible Gaza invasion.
The move comes after Palestinian militants fired a rocket towards Jerusalem for the first time in decades.
Tel Aviv has also come under rocket fire in defiance of an Israeli air offensive aimed at stopping the militant rocket attacks.
Over night there were further Israeli air strikes on Gaza City. A compound belonging to Hamas, the Islamist group which runs the Gaza Strip, was hit.
Israel has blocked access to three major routes leading into Gaza declaring it a “military zone”, increasing speculation that a ground attack is imminent.
Since Wednesday when Israel killed Hamas’s military chief, officials say at least 29 Palestinians have died including several children. Three Israelis were killed in a rocket attack on Thursday.
US President Barack Obama has spoken with both Egypts’s President Mohamed Morsi commending his efforts to start negotiating a truce while discussing ways of de-escalating the situation with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student
- 22:28 CET EU and U.S. announce new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 22:19 CET France names ex-finance minister Moscovici as EU commissioner…
- 22:10 CET Sierra Leone’s top Ebola doctor dies from virus
- 21:06 CET Romania’s leftist PM launches candidacy in presidential election
- 20:17 CET Iraq’s Kurds have right to sell oil while squeezed by Baghdad – MP
- 20:11 CET American opinion of Arabs, Muslims is getting worse- poll