Mobilised and on their way to the border – along with full-time soldiers, Israel’s cabinet has given the military the go-ahead to call up 75,000 reservists for a possible Gaza invasion.
The move comes after Palestinian militants fired a rocket towards Jerusalem for the first time in decades.
Tel Aviv has also come under rocket fire in defiance of an Israeli air offensive aimed at stopping the militant rocket attacks.
Over night there were further Israeli air strikes on Gaza City. A compound belonging to Hamas, the Islamist group which runs the Gaza Strip, was hit.
Israel has blocked access to three major routes leading into Gaza declaring it a “military zone”, increasing speculation that a ground attack is imminent.
Since Wednesday when Israel killed Hamas’s military chief, officials say at least 29 Palestinians have died including several children. Three Israelis were killed in a rocket attack on Thursday.
US President Barack Obama has spoken with both Egypts’s President Mohamed Morsi commending his efforts to start negotiating a truce while discussing ways of de-escalating the situation with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 4Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 5Armoured vehicles flying Russian flags roll into Slovyansk in Ukraine
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Iranian negotiators reject hardline criticism of nuclear talks
- 18:55 CET 22 reported killed in clashes over Central African Republic town
- 18:48 CET India’s Modi says committed to no first use of nuclear weapons
- 18:26 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 18:14 CET Abductors of Nigerian schoolgirls pretended to be soldiers -…
- 18:12 CET Ex-bin Laden ally turns key witness in U.S. terrorism cases
- 17:41 CET Pakistani Taliban end ceasefire with government but say talks…
- 17:39 CET ‘Super tax’ on African remittances hurts development – thinktank