Mobilised and on their way to the border – along with full-time soldiers, Israel’s cabinet has given the military the go-ahead to call up 75,000 reservists for a possible Gaza invasion.
The move comes after Palestinian militants fired a rocket towards Jerusalem for the first time in decades.
Tel Aviv has also come under rocket fire in defiance of an Israeli air offensive aimed at stopping the militant rocket attacks.
Over night there were further Israeli air strikes on Gaza City. A compound belonging to Hamas, the Islamist group which runs the Gaza Strip, was hit.
Israel has blocked access to three major routes leading into Gaza declaring it a “military zone”, increasing speculation that a ground attack is imminent.
Since Wednesday when Israel killed Hamas’s military chief, officials say at least 29 Palestinians have died including several children. Three Israelis were killed in a rocket attack on Thursday.
US President Barack Obama has spoken with both Egypts’s President Mohamed Morsi commending his efforts to start negotiating a truce while discussing ways of de-escalating the situation with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1Malaysia Airlines cabin crew traumatised by tragedies
- 2Putin calls for an end to conflict in Ukraine as pressure builds on Moscow
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Dutch fury as questions about plane tragedy go unanswered
- 5Ukraine: fresh fighting reported in rebel-controlled Donetsk
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 18:53 CET U.S. airlines halt flights to Israel due to instability
- 18:46 CET Indonesian president-elect Jokowi calls for unity after bitter…
- 18:26 CET Central African Republic rebels demand partition in Brazzaville…
- 18:15 CET IAEA worried about slow progress in Iran nuclear probe- sources
- 18:01 CET Russia may ask rich to help foot bill for Crimea with ‘solidarity…
- 17:37 CET Sri Lankan hardline Buddhist links Dalai Lama to Muslim extremism
- 17:32 CET Syrian opposition coalition dissolves interim government
- 16:59 CET Italy arrests five for mass murder during boat crossing