17/11/12 05:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Mobilised and on their way to the border – along with full-time soldiers, Israel’s cabinet has given the military the go-ahead to call up 75,000 reservists for a possible Gaza invasion.
The move comes after Palestinian militants fired a rocket towards Jerusalem for the first time in decades.
Tel Aviv has also come under rocket fire in defiance of an Israeli air offensive aimed at stopping the militant rocket attacks.
Over night there were further Israeli air strikes on Gaza City. A compound belonging to Hamas, the Islamist group which runs the Gaza Strip, was hit.
Israel has blocked access to three major routes leading into Gaza declaring it a “military zone”, increasing speculation that a ground attack is imminent.
Since Wednesday when Israel killed Hamas’s military chief, officials say at least 29 Palestinians have died including several children. Three Israelis were killed in a rocket attack on Thursday.
US President Barack Obama has spoken with both Egypts’s President Mohamed Morsi commending his efforts to start negotiating a truce while discussing ways of de-escalating the situation with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Latest world news
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Stranded on plane during Istanbul terror attacks – euronews journalist reports
Anti Brexit voters march in favour of a referendum re-run
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
Wires > News
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…