Mobilised and on their way to the border – along with full-time soldiers, Israel’s cabinet has given the military the go-ahead to call up 75,000 reservists for a possible Gaza invasion.
The move comes after Palestinian militants fired a rocket towards Jerusalem for the first time in decades.
Tel Aviv has also come under rocket fire in defiance of an Israeli air offensive aimed at stopping the militant rocket attacks.
Over night there were further Israeli air strikes on Gaza City. A compound belonging to Hamas, the Islamist group which runs the Gaza Strip, was hit.
Israel has blocked access to three major routes leading into Gaza declaring it a “military zone”, increasing speculation that a ground attack is imminent.
Since Wednesday when Israel killed Hamas’s military chief, officials say at least 29 Palestinians have died including several children. Three Israelis were killed in a rocket attack on Thursday.
US President Barack Obama has spoken with both Egypts’s President Mohamed Morsi commending his efforts to start negotiating a truce while discussing ways of de-escalating the situation with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:28 CET Brazil’s president widens lead in polls ahead of Sunday vote
- 22:22 CET Canadian parliament gunman acted alone – police
- 22:18 CET Russian captured in Afghanistan to face terrorism charges in U.S.
- 21:27 CET EU leaders divided over costs as climate talks begin
- 21:22 CET Baby killed by Palestinian driver in Jerusalem was American – U.S.
- 20:58 CET Suspected Boko Haram fighters kidnap 25 girls in northeast Nigeria
- 20:24 CET Cash aid for refugees succeeds despite donors’ doubts
- 20:13 CET Analysis – Economic bounce, tough campaign point to Rousseff win…