Israeli aircraft have struck Hamas government buildings in Gaza, including the offices of Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh after the city suffered overnight air strikes.
This comes after Israel’s cabinet gave the go ahead to call up 75,000 reservists for a possible ground invasion in response to Palestinian militants firing towards the country.
Despite the violence, Tunisia’s foreign minister Rafik Abdesslam visited the Gaza Strip.This comes just a day after Egypt’s Prime Minister Hisham Kandil’s trip to the area, showing growing solidarity since the Arab uprisings across the region.
“Israel should know that the world is changing and a lot of water has gone under the bridge, also in Arab countries. Israel cannot continue to use force, it is not above the law and has no special protection. It is not above international law and we condemn their action,” said the Tunisian minister.
Since Wednesday, when Israel killed Hamas’s military chief, officials say over 30 Palestinians have died including several children. Three Israelis were killed in a rocket attack on Thursday.
US President Barack Obama has spoken with both Egypts’s President Mohamed Morsi commending his efforts to start negotiating a truce while discussing ways of de-escalating the situation with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Palestinian militants have fired hundreds of rockets in response to the Israeli air campaign. This has disrupted life across southern Israel including in the town of Be’er Tuvia. Hamas claimed responsibility for firing at Tel Aviv’s commercial centre and, for the first time in decades, at Jerusalem. The last time a Palestinian rocket hit the city was in 1970.
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…