Israeli aircraft have struck Hamas government buildings in Gaza, including the offices of Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh after the city suffered overnight air strikes.
This comes after Israel’s cabinet gave the go ahead to call up 75,000 reservists for a possible ground invasion in response to Palestinian militants firing towards the country.
Despite the violence, Tunisia’s foreign minister Rafik Abdesslam visited the Gaza Strip.This comes just a day after Egypt’s Prime Minister Hisham Kandil’s trip to the area, showing growing solidarity since the Arab uprisings across the region.
“Israel should know that the world is changing and a lot of water has gone under the bridge, also in Arab countries. Israel cannot continue to use force, it is not above the law and has no special protection. It is not above international law and we condemn their action,” said the Tunisian minister.
Since Wednesday, when Israel killed Hamas’s military chief, officials say over 30 Palestinians have died including several children. Three Israelis were killed in a rocket attack on Thursday.
US President Barack Obama has spoken with both Egypts’s President Mohamed Morsi commending his efforts to start negotiating a truce while discussing ways of de-escalating the situation with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Palestinian militants have fired hundreds of rockets in response to the Israeli air campaign. This has disrupted life across southern Israel including in the town of Be’er Tuvia. Hamas claimed responsibility for firing at Tel Aviv’s commercial centre and, for the first time in decades, at Jerusalem. The last time a Palestinian rocket hit the city was in 1970.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 12:32 CET Kurds issue new call to arms against Islamic State in Syria
- 11:44 CET Families of German MH17 victims to sue Ukraine: lawyer
- 11:07 CET Wife of Alan Henning, Briton held by Islamic State, pleads for his…
- 08:42 CET New Zealand PM storms to third term but faces slowing growth ahead
- 07:36 CET Exclusive – Iran seeks give and take on militants, nuclear…
- 03:40 CET Iraqi Christians fly to new life in France after escaping Islamic…
- 03:30 CET Sierra Leone Ebola burial team attacked despite lockdown
- 02:44 CET U.S. to deliver 10 Apache helicopters to Egypt – Pentagon