There have been calls for practical help for Gaza after a meeting of the Arab League in Cairo.
Condemning Israel for the airstrikes on the Palestinian territory, ministers called not for military assistance, but humanitarian aid rather than just words.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has invited Arab League head Nabil Elaraby to visit Gaza.
Pledging to support the Palestinians against what he described as “Israeli aggression”, Elaraby also said: “I wonder about the usefulness of the so-called peace process. It has become a process that does not bring peace. I also wonder about the reasons why the Quartet of the US, EU, UN and Russia continue to sponsor a peace process that does nothing.”
Jointly, Turkey and Egypt should be able to bring peace to the region and will continue to cooperate in supporting the Palestinians. That was the message from Turkish prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Erdogan also commended Egypt’s president Mohammed Morsi for recalling the country’s ambassador to Israel. Egypt’s prime minister Hisham Qandil visited Gaza on Friday.
Protesters supporting the Palestinians and denouncing Israel gathered outside the Arab League meeting – many of them also demanding action rather than words.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
- 2Ukraine: renewed violence dents Minsk Summit hopes
- 3Sick of the ice bucket challenge? Here are five worthy alternatives
- 4Ukraine: Pessimism remains following Minsk summit
- 5Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 1Minsk summit: Ukraine peace – a work in progress
- 2Firearms expert shot dead by 9-year-old girl
- 3Islamists seize border post between Syria and Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
- 4[As it happened] Newsday: Ukraine-Russia – Gaza ceasefire – Islamic State – US shooting
- 5Sick of the ice bucket challenge? Here are five worthy alternatives
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 7Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 8Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 9Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 10Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 11Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 12Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 13Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 14EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 15Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 16A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 17Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 19Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 20Hamas executes 18 suspected collaborators | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 06:38 CET U.S. National Security Council aware of reports that second…
- 05:08 CET China’s top judge says foreigners to be allowed into Chinese courts
- 03:08 CET China urges Japan to break from aggressive past after Abe honours…
- 02:08 CET U.S. seeks coalition against Islamic State, but military partners…
- 00:09 CET U.S. moves prisoners from Afghanistan to Pakistan, Yemen
- 23:16 CET India’s Modi eyes breakthrough nuclear pact on Japan trip
- 23:14 CET Lebanese army shells militant positions in Syria border zone
- 23:07 CET Shambolic election campaign leaves Indonesia’s president-elect…