The UK parliament has warned taxpayers may never recover the estimated 82 billion euros spent by the government during the country’s banking crisis.
The money was used to bail out the troubled RBS and Lloyds banking group with the government purchasing 40 percent of Lloyds and 82 percent of RBS as the banks stood on the brink of collapse.
The Public Accounts Committee reported it could be, “many years” before either bank could be sold. It added it was fortunate that Virgin Money was keen to buy Northern Rock.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 15Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 16Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 17Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
- 20[Latest] AKP loses its majority as Kurdish party enter Turkish Parliament
Wires > Business
- 14:44 CET Chinese officials, investors hope new support steps will stave off…
- 12:59 CET Lauda dismisses talk of Mercedes supplying Red Bull
- 12:35 CET Quartet of crises threatens Europe’s core
- 11:34 CET China curbs IPOs, enlists brokers in all-out bid to end market rout
- 03:28 CET Rubbing along with robots tackles Abe’s double dilemma
- 20:49 CET EU imposes anti-dumping duties on Russian aluminium foil
- 17:09 CET Poland ready to intervene if Greek referendum hurts zloty -…
- 16:28 CET China to suspend new IPOs to stabilise stock markets – WSJ