The UK parliament has warned taxpayers may never recover the estimated 82 billion euros spent by the government during the country’s banking crisis.
The money was used to bail out the troubled RBS and Lloyds banking group with the government purchasing 40 percent of Lloyds and 82 percent of RBS as the banks stood on the brink of collapse.
The Public Accounts Committee reported it could be, “many years” before either bank could be sold. It added it was fortunate that Virgin Money was keen to buy Northern Rock.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Putin’s secret plan to seize Crimea | euronews, world news
- 20How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
Wires > Business
- 21:48 CET Oil leaps 5 percent, most in a month, on air strikes in Yemen
- 20:06 CET G20 watchdog to study bond market liquidity, asset managers
- 19:50 CET London or Paris: which is the club for Russia’s Ukraine debt?
- 19:46 CET Nomura, RBS ‘crap’ emails come into play in $1 billion mortgage…
- 19:39 CET UBP set to buy RBS’s Coutts International – source
- 19:33 CET Aviva, Friends Life shareholders vote for merger
- 18:37 CET U.S. jobs, services sector data point to growth rebound
- 18:14 CET Greece prepares reforms, eyes deal with euro zone next week