The UK parliament has warned taxpayers may never recover the estimated 82 billion euros spent by the government during the country’s banking crisis.
The money was used to bail out the troubled RBS and Lloyds banking group with the government purchasing 40 percent of Lloyds and 82 percent of RBS as the banks stood on the brink of collapse.
The Public Accounts Committee reported it could be, “many years” before either bank could be sold. It added it was fortunate that Virgin Money was keen to buy Northern Rock.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 00:50 CET HSBC Argentina makes proposal to cenbank amid tax evasion probe
- 23:49 CET Pimco Total Return assets drop below $100 billion, first time…
- 23:35 CET Twitter announces global expansion of self-service ads platform
- 23:32 CET Lannett to buy UCB’s U.S. speciality generic drugs unit for $1.23…
- 22:52 CET Barclays sells Portugal assets to Spain’s Bankinter for 175…
- 22:04 CET Boeing delivers 14 Dreamliners, strong cash flow seen – sources
- 21:48 CET Spielberg’s DreamWorks to split from Disney – Hollywood Reporter
- 20:11 CET Reebok heads back to the gym with new German marketing blitz