16/11/12 20:16 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
On Friday Tel Aviv residents were forced to run for cover as Palestinian militants fired rockets at the Israeli city for a second day running.
There were also reports that a rocket had come close to hitting Jerusalem for the first time in decades.
Israel responded to the attacks with air strikes on the Gaza strip, during a time when Egypt’s Prime Minister was visiting the area.
Hesham Qandil condemned what he called “Israeli aggression” and said Cairo will continue to seek a ceasefire:
“The Egyptian revolution will make every effort and make sacrifices to stop this aggression and to achieve a truce and ensure that it continues, to achieve the equitable peace and to establish a Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital”
On Friday evening the Israeli army closed three roads leading to the Gaza Strip or along the border, and Israeli Defence Minister, Ehud Barak, was reportedly seeking a green light from the government to mobilise up to 75,000 reservists, indicating a possible land intervention
Meanwhile: Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said he was doing all he could to prevent civilian deaths:
“I’m glad to see that most of the governments of the world don’t fall into the false symmetry of equating the terrorist aggressors with their civilian victims and, of course, Israel will continue to exercise this prudence and self-restraint while defending our citizens against terrorism.”
Latest world news
A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Will Michel Platini be back in charge for Euro 2016?
Air strike on Kunduz hospital ‘not a war crime’ says US military report
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Wires > News
- 01:51 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norway coast, 13 presumed dead
- 00:44 CET Six-storey building collapses as floods hit Kenyan capital, three…
- 00:10 CET Britain praises Cuba’s Castro for embracing realities of modernity
- 23:29 CET ‘Monstrous’ violence in Syria as government excludes Aleppo from…
- 23:12 CET Russian fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane -…
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…