On Friday Tel Aviv residents were forced to run for cover as Palestinian militants fired rockets at the Israeli city for a second day running.
There were also reports that a rocket had come close to hitting Jerusalem for the first time in decades.
Israel responded to the attacks with air strikes on the Gaza strip, during a time when Egypt’s Prime Minister was visiting the area.
Hesham Qandil condemned what he called “Israeli aggression” and said Cairo will continue to seek a ceasefire:
“The Egyptian revolution will make every effort and make sacrifices to stop this aggression and to achieve a truce and ensure that it continues, to achieve the equitable peace and to establish a Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital”
On Friday evening the Israeli army closed three roads leading to the Gaza Strip or along the border, and Israeli Defence Minister, Ehud Barak, was reportedly seeking a green light from the government to mobilise up to 75,000 reservists, indicating a possible land intervention
Meanwhile: Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said he was doing all he could to prevent civilian deaths:
“I’m glad to see that most of the governments of the world don’t fall into the false symmetry of equating the terrorist aggressors with their civilian victims and, of course, Israel will continue to exercise this prudence and self-restraint while defending our citizens against terrorism.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 03:34 CET Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal