Israeli citizens living in the south of the country are on alert as the violence between Israel and Hamas intensifies.
Authorities have informed residents to stay close to home or to a network of public bomb shelters.
In Beer Sheva normally bustling shopping malls are deathly quiet:
“In my opinion this situation is not good and it’s scary to come here to the mall or be on the streets when there is no one around. But I don’t think anything will change if the IDF goes in because in 2008 they did the same and here we are again,” said Leah Polski a 15-year-old from the city.
In Kiryat Malachi families packed up their belongings to move out of range of the Hamas rockets.
“Hopefully it’s going to be a day or two days, but until the missiles stop I don’t think I am going to take the risk,” said one anxious father as the car, fully loaded, left town.
For Israeli civilians fleeing the conflict there is an escape route, for the Palestinians there is none.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 04:23 CET Chinese court jails Uighur scholar for life for separatism
- 04:20 CET Australia police kill ‘terror suspect’ after two officers stabbed
- 03:47 CET Central American countries offer plan to curb migration to U.S
- 03:41 CET Venezuela court gives long sentences to beauty queen’s killers
- 03:24 CET U.N. Security Council blacklists foreign fighters, recruiters
- 03:01 CET U.N. climate summit sets goals to save forests, use clean energy
- 02:38 CET Exclusive – With Suu Kyi blocked, her Myanmar party eyes…
- 02:17 CET Analysis – Obama forges anti-ISIL coalition, but will it hang…