Israeli citizens living in the south of the country are on alert as the violence between Israel and Hamas intensifies.
Authorities have informed residents to stay close to home or to a network of public bomb shelters.
In Beer Sheva normally bustling shopping malls are deathly quiet:
“In my opinion this situation is not good and it’s scary to come here to the mall or be on the streets when there is no one around. But I don’t think anything will change if the IDF goes in because in 2008 they did the same and here we are again,” said Leah Polski a 15-year-old from the city.
In Kiryat Malachi families packed up their belongings to move out of range of the Hamas rockets.
“Hopefully it’s going to be a day or two days, but until the missiles stop I don’t think I am going to take the risk,” said one anxious father as the car, fully loaded, left town.
For Israeli civilians fleeing the conflict there is an escape route, for the Palestinians there is none.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea ferry trial: students tell how they floated to safety
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3Blackout: Gaza’s only power plant destroyed by Israeli tank attack
- 4Israel warns of ‘long-lasting operation’ in Gaza as at least five Israeli soldiers killed
- 5Palestinian children killed by missile strike while at play in Gaza
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 18:42 CET Chinese police shoot dead dozens after attack in Xinjiang
- 18:25 CET Air France, Virgin among airlines avoiding Iraqi airspace
- 18:09 CET U.S. nuclear negotiator will not guarantee end to Iran extensions
- 17:31 CET U.S.-Iran nuclear negotiator ‘concerned’ about detention of…
- 16:22 CET Putin may have passed point of no-return over Ukraine
- 16:15 CET Suspect in Jewish Museum attack extradited to Belgium
- 15:46 CET Colombia’s Marxist ELN rebels to blame for explosions – police
- 15:38 CET Ex-Catalan chief Pujol stripped of titles in Spain tax scandal