16/11/12 08:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Israel will stop its offensive against the Gaza Strip during the Egyptian prime minister’s visit on Friday.
The message for the Palestinians from Cairo has been one of support. In addition to prime minister Hisham Qandil’s visit, Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi has condemned Israel’s actions, recalled the Egyptian ambassador from Tel Aviv and opened the Rafah border crossing to allow wounded Gazans to be treated.
After three days of Israel’s “Pillar of Defence” operation, 19 Palestinians are dead – 12 of them civilians, including children and a pregnant woman.
There is speculation over a possible Israeli ground offensive in Gaza with reports of a build-up of troops near the border. Israel is calling up thousands of reservists.
Tel Aviv is responding to rockets fired into Israel by Palestinian militants. The defence minister said Hamas would have to pay the price for targeting Tel Aviv.
The first missile threat on Israel’s commercial capital in 20 years has shaken the country. Two Hamas rockets landed in the area after being launched from Gaza 70 kilometres to the south.
The militant group claims to have fired hundreds of rockets.
Israel says its military offensive against Hamas will continue.
Latest world news
Dozens dead in air strikes on camp for internally displaced in Syria
Canada wildfires spread south, state of emergency in place
“You can’t always get what you want” – the Rolling Stones dump Trump
Police shoot-out with UK-registered car in France
Lone woman faces down neo-Nazis in Sweden
Wires > News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:58 CET Air strikes on camp for displaced Syrians kill 28, monitor says
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article
- 19:27 CET ‘Trump of the East’ widens lead in last poll before Philippine vote
- 19:15 CET Republicans grapple with whether to back Trump for White House
- 19:03 CET Acting Irish PM Kenny sets vote on re-election for Friday
- 18:51 CET Italy, Germany agree on immigration policy, but not on financing
- 18:23 CET ‘No boots on the ground’ has its limits as U.S. Navy SEAL is…