Israel will stop its offensive against the Gaza Strip during the Egyptian prime minister’s visit on Friday.
The message for the Palestinians from Cairo has been one of support. In addition to prime minister Hisham Qandil’s visit, Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi has condemned Israel’s actions, recalled the Egyptian ambassador from Tel Aviv and opened the Rafah border crossing to allow wounded Gazans to be treated.
After three days of Israel’s “Pillar of Defence” operation, 19 Palestinians are dead – 12 of them civilians, including children and a pregnant woman.
There is speculation over a possible Israeli ground offensive in Gaza with reports of a build-up of troops near the border. Israel is calling up thousands of reservists.
Tel Aviv is responding to rockets fired into Israel by Palestinian militants. The defence minister said Hamas would have to pay the price for targeting Tel Aviv.
The first missile threat on Israel’s commercial capital in 20 years has shaken the country. Two Hamas rockets landed in the area after being launched from Gaza 70 kilometres to the south.
The militant group claims to have fired hundreds of rockets.
Israel says its military offensive against Hamas will continue.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Six world powers to make a final push for a deal over Iran’s nuclear programme
- 4Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 5Canada: Accident involving Airbus A320 hospitalises at least 25
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 20Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:13 CET Strong quakes strike off South Pacific islands
- 11:12 CET Strong quakes strike off South Pacific islands – USGS
- 11:09 CET Syria gets Russian arms under deals signed since conflict began -…
- 09:54 CET Greece says not backing down on debt relief goal
- 09:52 CET Iran summons Turkish charge d’affaires over Erdogan comments
- 09:49 CET Modi govt says to push for cow slaughter ban in India
- 09:13 CET Heavy rains trigger flood fears in Kashmir; 10 people buried alive
- 08:44 CET U.N. Secretary General to meet with Iraqi leaders in Baghdad