Israel’s airforce has launched an attack on the home of a Hamas commander, despite a temporary halting of military action due to a visit to Gaza by Egypt’s prime minister Hisham Qandil.
The strike is retaliation for rockets being fired at southern Israel.
Tel Aviv had announced that it would suspend its military operation during the visit, but there are reports of an Israeli air strike on a house in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.
An Interior Ministry building belonging to Hamas has also been hit by a missile, reducing a large part of it to rubble.
The death toll has risen by two, making it 21 Palestinians who have lost their lives since Wednesday.
In addition to militants, those killed include children and a pregnant woman.
Sixteen thousand reservists have been called up by the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) and there is speculation of a possible ground assault, with reports of a build-up of troops near the border.
Three Israelis have been killed by rockets fired from Gaza, 70 kilometres to the south, which have hit Ashdod in southern Israel and also Tel Aviv. Palestinian militants claim to have launched hundreds.
A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is blaming the failed ceasefire on Hamas and the message is that the military offensive, called the ‘Pillar of Defence’, will continue.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 3Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali
- 04:04 CET South Korea ferry businessman’s cause of death impossible to…
- 03:34 CET Shelling of Gaza school kills at least 15; toll nears 800
- 03:24 CET Al Jazeera journalists jailed in Egypt say they will appeal
- 02:39 CET Death row Christian woman flies out of Sudan, meets pope
- 01:02 CET Iran detains four journalists, three of them Iranian-American…
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate