Israel’s airforce has launched an attack on the home of a Hamas commander, despite a temporary halting of military action due to a visit to Gaza by Egypt’s prime minister Hisham Qandil.
The strike is retaliation for rockets being fired at southern Israel.
Tel Aviv had announced that it would suspend its military operation during the visit, but there are reports of an Israeli air strike on a house in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.
An Interior Ministry building belonging to Hamas has also been hit by a missile, reducing a large part of it to rubble.
The death toll has risen by two, making it 21 Palestinians who have lost their lives since Wednesday.
In addition to militants, those killed include children and a pregnant woman.
Sixteen thousand reservists have been called up by the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) and there is speculation of a possible ground assault, with reports of a build-up of troops near the border.
Three Israelis have been killed by rockets fired from Gaza, 70 kilometres to the south, which have hit Ashdod in southern Israel and also Tel Aviv. Palestinian militants claim to have launched hundreds.
A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is blaming the failed ceasefire on Hamas and the message is that the military offensive, called the ‘Pillar of Defence’, will continue.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian artillery fire thwarts rebel plan to surround government troops in Debaltseve
- 244 police commandos killed in anti-terror op mourned in Philippines
- 3Greece warned against reversing austerity as it rejects bailout administrators
- 4Gunman interrupts Dutch broadcast to demand airtime before being arrested
- 5‘Positive signs’ Greece will work together with lenders to reach deal
- 1French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 2Council of Europe suspends Russian voting rights over Ukraine
- 3What’s the link between WW1 and Hungary’s 675,000 new citizens?
- 4Memories of rebel control in Kramatorsk
- 5Prisoner exchange in eastern Ukraine, as witnessed by euronews
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3French co-pilot was at controls of doomed AirAsia passenger plane say investigators
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:13 CET Venezuela confirms it shot down plane near Aruba
- 21:08 CET Republican Romney opts out of a 2016 run for president
- 19:42 CET EU-wide toll could end road spat with Germany – transport chief
- 19:26 CET Greece says will not cooperate with ‘troika’ or seek aid extension
- 19:15 CET Russia wants U.N. Security Council help on conflict zone flight…
- 18:42 CET Nigeria’s Buhari vows to end graft, insecurity, inequality
- 18:38 CET Next round of Syria talks in Moscow in a month – delegate
- 18:26 CET Australia wants clear UN rules on extended searches after MH370