Israel’s airforce has launched an attack on the home of a Hamas commander, despite a temporary halting of military action due to a visit to Gaza by Egypt’s prime minister Hisham Qandil.
The strike is retaliation for rockets being fired at southern Israel.
Tel Aviv had announced that it would suspend its military operation during the visit, but there are reports of an Israeli air strike on a house in the Jabalia refugee camp in northern Gaza.
An Interior Ministry building belonging to Hamas has also been hit by a missile, reducing a large part of it to rubble.
The death toll has risen by two, making it 21 Palestinians who have lost their lives since Wednesday.
In addition to militants, those killed include children and a pregnant woman.
Sixteen thousand reservists have been called up by the Israeli Defence Force (IDF) and there is speculation of a possible ground assault, with reports of a build-up of troops near the border.
Three Israelis have been killed by rockets fired from Gaza, 70 kilometres to the south, which have hit Ashdod in southern Israel and also Tel Aviv. Palestinian militants claim to have launched hundreds.
A spokesman for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is blaming the failed ceasefire on Hamas and the message is that the military offensive, called the ‘Pillar of Defence’, will continue.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 2Tens of thousands homeless after flooding in Philippines
- 3Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle
- 4France says its jets launch first air strikes in Iraq
- 5Giant hail stones rain down on Italian city of Florence
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Russia: new EU sanctions look ‘strange’ says Putin
- 4Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 5US and NATO troops begin military exercises in Ukraine
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 15#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 16Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20Marine Le Pen criticises France’s decision to halt Mistral warship sale to Russia | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:33 CET Austrian town officials resign after Nazi basement film
- 02:09 CET North Korea says imprisoned American tried to become ‘second…
- 01:56 CET Kiev, rebels agree to extra measures to ensure Ukraine cease-fire
- 01:43 CET U.S., Canada send jets to intercept Russian aircraft
- 01:36 CET Chad accuses U.N. of neglecting its peacekeepers in Mali
- 01:05 CET Third term beckons for New Zealand government as polls open
- 00:26 CET Ebola lockdown brings Sierra Leone capital to a halt
- 22:45 CET Insight – Campaign donations highlight winners, losers in Brazil…