16/11/12 01:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Irish government says the country’s stance on abortion needs clarifying after the death of a pregnant woman in hospital.
Savita Halappanavar was allegedly refused a termination while she was enduring a miscarriage in Galway.
Two investigations are underway after her husband claimed the reasons doctors gave were that a foetal heartbeat had been detected, and Ireland was a “Catholic country”.
“I have said very clearly that we need to bring legal clarity to this issue. We need to ensure that in this country that we do not have a doubt which arises in a hospital in a set of circumstances which puts a mother’s life at risk,” Deputy Prime Minister Eamon Gilmore told parliament.
The 31 year-old woman’s death prompted thousands to protest in Dublin on Wednesday.
The Irish Supreme Court ruled 20 years ago that abortion was legal in limited circumstances. But a European ruling two years ago said Ireland still needed to introduce clear rules.
Critics say doctors are left in legal limbo.
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 4Who were the people behind the Paris bomb attacks?
- 5Hasna Aitboulahcen did not detonate a suicide vest during the St. Denis shoot out
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 41000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 12Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 13New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 14International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 15Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 19Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
Wires > News
- 22:05 CET France, Belgium widen probe into Paris attacks, Hollande wins …
- 21:40 CET Obama, Hollande urge Russia to focus Syria attacks on Islamic State
- 21:23 CET Apparent suicide attack on Tunisian presidential guard bus kills 12
- 21:22 CET Landmine kills U.N. peacekeeper in Mali
- 21:10 CET Taking of hostages in northern France not linked to Paris attacks…
- 20:25 CET Despite security fears, Germans aim to enjoy Christmas market…
- 20:08 CET Turkey downs Russian warplane near Syria border
- 19:54 CET Ex-Wall Street banker Simsek to lead Turkish economy in new cabinet