It was just a taste of what life could now be like for two Croatian generals freed on appeal after being jailed for war crimes.
Celebrations began early and continued for hours as thousands turned out in Zagreb’s main square to see Ante Gotovina and Mladen Markac.
The pair were convicted last year by the Hague tribunal, accused of orchestrating a campaign of murder and plunder to drive some 200,000 Serbs from a rebel enclave of Croatia during the country’s war in the mid 90s.
With Gotovina widely regarded as a national hero, one supporter praised the court’s decision saying she was glad God showed mercy on them.
But a ex-prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia has questioned the verdict. Carla del Ponte said she does not know of any additional evidence that has been presented since their conviction, so the outcome she says is unexplainable.
The successful appeal marks the biggest reversal for the court in its near two decade history.
But the outcome is also likely to further strain ties between Serbia and Croatia which have soured since nationalists rose to power in Belgrade this year.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 03:01 CET Obama says world must reach climate deal in Paris ‘while we still…
- 02:52 CET Suspect in Houston-area shooting of deputy appears in court
- 02:02 CET IMF approves second disbursement to Ghana
- 01:17 CET Palestinians, Israeli soldier wounded during West Bank raid
- 23:04 CET Analysis – Japan nuclear power outlook bleak despite first reactor…
- 23:00 CET Car bomb damages Italy’s ENI joint venture office in Libyan capital
- 22:20 CET Syrian court acquits free-speech campaigner
- 22:15 CET Greek banks must be recapitalised before capital controls go -…