The French prime minister has used his first visit to Germany since François Hollande became president to reassure his hosts about the French economy.
It follows doubts within German government circles over the commitment in Paris to reduce deficits and embark on structural reforms.
Jean-Marc Ayrault, a German speaker, said France had rediscovered its confidence thanks to his government’s reforms over the past six months.
Angela Merkel said she would never dare to judge the French government’s decisions.
“France and Germany agree that we must do more in the field of economic-political cooperation, especially in the eurozone. We want a strong France, and France wants a strong Germany so we will become a strong Europe,” the German Chancellor told a joint news conference in Berlin.
A week before the next EU summit, the French prime minister talked of solidarity.
“The important thing is to do everything to keep Greece in the eurozone, there is a consensus on this essential point,” said Jean Marc Ayrault. “Decisions about Greece are coming up.”
The prime minister reminded his hosts that the German population was ageing quicker than the French, threatening pensions and social security.
His visit coincided with new figures revealing that that both the French and German economies had grown by 0.2 per cent during the third quarter – compared to a 0.1 per cent contraction across the eurozone as a whole.
France has been under pressure to improve competitiveness relative to Germany.
Paris has announced plans to help reduce companies’ labour costs.
But some in Berlin are worried that without stronger reforms, France could get sucked deeper into the eurozone crisis.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 20:05 CET Guantanamo hearing halted after defence accusations of FBI spying
- 20:03 CET U.S. releases $450 million of frozen Iranian funds after …
- 19:55 CET Kosovo PM urges vote on new war crimes court but calls it insult
- 19:51 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 19:41 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 19:05 CET Church must be open to sick, homeless, pope says on Holy Thursday
- 19:00 CET Burundi orders U.N. security adviser out after violence warning
- 17:29 CET Iraqi Kurds entrench political faultline with Syria border ditch