The French prime minister has used his first visit to Germany since François Hollande became president to reassure his hosts about the French economy.
It follows doubts within German government circles over the commitment in Paris to reduce deficits and embark on structural reforms.
Jean-Marc Ayrault, a German speaker, said France had rediscovered its confidence thanks to his government’s reforms over the past six months.
Angela Merkel said she would never dare to judge the French government’s decisions.
“France and Germany agree that we must do more in the field of economic-political cooperation, especially in the eurozone. We want a strong France, and France wants a strong Germany so we will become a strong Europe,” the German Chancellor told a joint news conference in Berlin.
A week before the next EU summit, the French prime minister talked of solidarity.
“The important thing is to do everything to keep Greece in the eurozone, there is a consensus on this essential point,” said Jean Marc Ayrault. “Decisions about Greece are coming up.”
The prime minister reminded his hosts that the German population was ageing quicker than the French, threatening pensions and social security.
His visit coincided with new figures revealing that that both the French and German economies had grown by 0.2 per cent during the third quarter – compared to a 0.1 per cent contraction across the eurozone as a whole.
France has been under pressure to improve competitiveness relative to Germany.
Paris has announced plans to help reduce companies’ labour costs.
But some in Berlin are worried that without stronger reforms, France could get sucked deeper into the eurozone crisis.
- 1Newly-released video alleges Turkey is sending weapons to Syria
- 2Ukraine’s former resort city of Shyrokine is now a ghost town
- 3Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 4Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 5Blatter re-elected for fifth term as FIFA president
- 1Myanmar refuses sole responsibility in Rohingya migrant crisis
- 2Russia ‘amassing artillery’ near border with eastern Ukraine, reports suggest
- 3Greece designs new two-euro coin amid fears of Grexit
- 4Putin classifies Russian troop deaths during peacetime a state secret
- 5Nigeria: Buhari inaugurated in first democratic transfer of power
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 7Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 8Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 12EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 13How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 14Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 15Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 16Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
- 17We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20How World War II shaped modern Poland | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 10:21 CET FIFA’s Blatter faces division and suspicion as fifth term begins
- 10:05 CET Migrant boat seized off Myanmar still at sea a day later
- 09:08 CET Bulgarian central bank governor says he is prepared to step down
- 08:29 CET U.S. defence chief says China’s island-building erodes security
- 05:16 CET Mexico lawmakers demand president detail wealth after…
- 02:25 CET U.S. military orders review as anthrax mishap widens
- 01:20 CET Multi-vehicle crash in Egypt kills 16, including conscripts -…
- 00:48 CET Video shows Canada Parliament gunman praying before attack