16/11/12 15:12 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Moscow’s Gorky Park has inaugurated its newly enlarged ice-rink, billed as Europe’s biggest.
Special technology allows the rink to remain open through till the middle of March, and between now and then, tens of thousands of people are expected to come from far and wide to take a turn.
“The ice rink is much bigger compared to last year,” says the park’s director Olga Zaharova. “It was 15,000 square meters and now it is 18,000 square meters. The Ice rink is located around the fountain square. I think the atmosphere is excellent aand when you can skate around a huge fountain and move towards the romantic lanes.”
The expected hordes may be a romance killer for some seeking magic moments together but authorities say with the extra space and facilities on offer there is something for everyone.
Latest world news
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Wires > News
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 00:37 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…
- 21:30 CET Yemen officials say peace talks suspended after Houthis seize base
- 21:28 CET Bergdahl defense can access classified information, court rules
- 21:11 CET Connecticut governor honored for welcoming Syrian refugees