16/11/12 05:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Thousands of Croatians have held vigils and attended masses in support of two generals on the eve of their appeals against war crimes convictions.
A rally in Zagreb included hundreds of veterans from the Balkans war of the 1990s, while other demonstrations were organised around the country for those they consider heroes.
Such is the interest in Croatia that Friday’s appeal judgements will be broadcast live on large screens in the capital’s main square.
At the original trial in The Hague last year, the war crimes tribunal jailed Ante Gotovina for 24 years over the murder of Serbs in Croatia.
Another former general, Mladen Markac, was given 18 years.
A 1995 Croatian offensive dubbed “Operation Storm” sought to retake the Krajina region and expel tens of thousands of Serbs.
Gotovina was accused of being responsible for the death of 324 civilians or soldiers who had surrendered.
The Croatian government and public reacted angrily to the verdicts.
Croatia’s forthcoming EU membership was conditional on its cooperation with the tribunal.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Armed police to patrol French beaches
Wires > News
- 11:39 CET Taiwan Navy fires missile in error as China’s Communists mark…
- 11:33 CET Syrian warplane crashes near Damascus, rebels seize pilot -…
- 11:22 CET Czech president urges referendum on EU, NATO, says would back…
- 11:17 CET A Brexit warning from Switzerland: beware votes on free movement
- 11:16 CET Six killed in gun attack on two buses in Kenya’s Mandera
- 11:15 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 10:59 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 10:34 CET Vietnamese scoff at bike-ban plan as motorcycles engulf capital