General Ante Gotovina, the most senior Croatian officer convicted of war crimes during the Balkan Wars, is back on home soil after being freed by a UN appeals court on Friday.
The former Army commander was acquitted along with the former head of the Croatian special police, Mladen Marackac.
The men, who received a red-carpet reception on arrival, had been given 24-year and 18-year sentences respectively at the original trial, for their actions during Operation Storm in 1995.
Prosecutors had accused Gotovina of targeting hospitals and civilian institutions during the US and NATO backed operation to retake Croatia’s Krajina region from rebel Serbs.
The appeals court said the institutions had not been internationally targeted, ruling: “Without a finding that the artillery attacks were unlawful, the trial chamber’s conclusion that a joint criminal enterprise existed cannot be sustained.”
The aquittal further strains the relationship between Serbia and Croatia, the two main actors of the Yugoslav wars.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo
- 17:00 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion
- 15:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 15:36 CET In Damascus, Christians briefly ignore war for Easter