There has been no let-up in the fighting overnight between Israel and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, with both sides launching strikes into the other’s territory.
There is speculation over a possible Israeli ground offensive in Gaza: with reports of a build-up of troops near the border.
Israel’s “Pillar of Defence” operation is into its third day as it continues to respond to rockets fired by Hamas militants.
The first 48 hours of airstrikes have left at least 19 Palestinians dead in Gaza. Civilians, including six children, were among those killed.
However Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said that the military offensive will be suspended during the visit to Gaza by Egypt’s prime minister on Friday.
The exchange of firepower is matched by a war of words. Hamas has warned that Israel will pay dearly for what Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh called a “ferocious assault” on the Palestinian territory.
Israel is authorising the call-up of 30,000 reservists. The Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Hamas would have to pay the price for targeting Tel Aviv.
The first missile threat on Israel’s commercial capital in 20 years has shaken the country.
Two Hamas rockets landed in the area after being launched from Gaza 70 kilometres to the south.
Hamas claims to have fired hundreds: in one town nearer the border three Israeli civilians were killed when their block of flats was hit.
Israel claims its Iron Dome missile defence system has intercepted over 100 rockets.
Government spokesmen said Israel was not interested in a ceasefire, but in continuing its offensive until Hamas “begs for one”.
- 1Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 2Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 3‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 4Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 19:49 CET Islamic State sympathizers may have made airline threats – …
- 19:44 CET Analysis – Emboldened in Syria and Iraq, Islamic State may be…
- 19:22 CET Peru lawmakers reject bill to allow pregnant rape victims an…
- 19:19 CET EU officials dismiss Greek statement on aid agreement being drafted
- 19:18 CET Israeli air force chief unfazed Egypt may get Russia’s S-300
- 18:49 CET EU countries’ resistance could frustrate migrant relocation plan
- 17:51 CET Germany raps Russia over law against ‘undesirable’ NGOs
- 17:49 CET Eyeing EU membership, Albania and Serbia mend ties