16/11/12 06:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There has been no let-up in the fighting overnight between Israel and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, with both sides launching strikes into the other’s territory.
There is speculation over a possible Israeli ground offensive in Gaza: with reports of a build-up of troops near the border.
Israel’s “Pillar of Defence” operation is into its third day as it continues to respond to rockets fired by Hamas militants.
The first 48 hours of airstrikes have left at least 19 Palestinians dead in Gaza. Civilians, including six children, were among those killed.
However Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said that the military offensive will be suspended during the visit to Gaza by Egypt’s prime minister on Friday.
The exchange of firepower is matched by a war of words. Hamas has warned that Israel will pay dearly for what Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh called a “ferocious assault” on the Palestinian territory.
Israel is authorising the call-up of 30,000 reservists. The Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Hamas would have to pay the price for targeting Tel Aviv.
The first missile threat on Israel’s commercial capital in 20 years has shaken the country.
Two Hamas rockets landed in the area after being launched from Gaza 70 kilometres to the south.
Hamas claims to have fired hundreds: in one town nearer the border three Israeli civilians were killed when their block of flats was hit.
Israel claims its Iron Dome missile defence system has intercepted over 100 rockets.
Government spokesmen said Israel was not interested in a ceasefire, but in continuing its offensive until Hamas “begs for one”.
Latest world news
Syria: Russian orchestra holds concert in Palmyra ruins
Labour election losses in Scotland deliver big blow to Corbyn
US House Speaker Paul Ryan ‘not ready’ to back Trump
Turkey: Davutoglu departure raises concerns over authoritarianism
Deadly flare-up in violence as Israel finds Gaza tunnel
Wires > News
- 10:37 CET China says South China Sea criticism could rebound like coiled…
- 09:53 CET Islamist rebels seize village near Aleppo, 73 killed-monitor
- 09:21 CET Greeks strike as new tax, pension reforms loom
- 09:16 CET Afghan president moves acting defence minister to head spy agency
- 08:04 CET China, Kazakhstan sign $2 billion in deals as Xinjiang party boss…
- 07:49 CET Singapore, Australia expand military cooperation in A$2.25 billion…
- 07:44 CET Exclusive – Top reason Americans will vote for Trump: ‘To stop…
- 07:02 CET Australia to compensate charity wrongly accused over refugees‘…