16/11/12 06:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
There has been no let-up in the fighting overnight between Israel and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, with both sides launching strikes into the other’s territory.
There is speculation over a possible Israeli ground offensive in Gaza: with reports of a build-up of troops near the border.
Israel’s “Pillar of Defence” operation is into its third day as it continues to respond to rockets fired by Hamas militants.
The first 48 hours of airstrikes have left at least 19 Palestinians dead in Gaza. Civilians, including six children, were among those killed.
However Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said that the military offensive will be suspended during the visit to Gaza by Egypt’s prime minister on Friday.
The exchange of firepower is matched by a war of words. Hamas has warned that Israel will pay dearly for what Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh called a “ferocious assault” on the Palestinian territory.
Israel is authorising the call-up of 30,000 reservists. The Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Hamas would have to pay the price for targeting Tel Aviv.
The first missile threat on Israel’s commercial capital in 20 years has shaken the country.
Two Hamas rockets landed in the area after being launched from Gaza 70 kilometres to the south.
Hamas claims to have fired hundreds: in one town nearer the border three Israeli civilians were killed when their block of flats was hit.
Israel claims its Iron Dome missile defence system has intercepted over 100 rockets.
Government spokesmen said Israel was not interested in a ceasefire, but in continuing its offensive until Hamas “begs for one”.
- 1Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 2Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
- 3Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 4New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 5Marijuana in the US: business booming, attitudes changing
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 8Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 9Partnering to grow Europe
- 10Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 13Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 16Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 17Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 18latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
Canada to end bombing campaign against ISIL within two weeks
New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
Tens of thousands of Syrian refugees in camps next to Turkey border
Aleppo: Germany and Turkey call on NATO for help with refugees
Gusty winds hit Europe – on both sides of the Channel
Wires > News
- 03:50 CET Hong Kong riot police clash with protesters amid crackdown on…
- 01:17 CET U.S. defence intelligence chief predicts increased ISIS attacks
- 01:11 CET U.S. military seeks to prepare Africa for shifting terror threat
- 00:14 CET Wife of Islamic State leader charged in death of American – …
- 00:00 CET Israel NGO bill, seen as targeting left-wing groups, crosses first…
- 22:57 CET Dissident Irish nationalists claim fatal Dublin shooting – BBC
- 22:44 CET Laptop bomb may have blown hole in Somali plane – U.S. officials
- 22:41 CET Arab-Israeli lawmakers suspended for meeting families of killed…