Israel launched a major military offensive in Palestine on Wednesday.
Operation “Pillar of Defence” began with the killing of Hamas’ military commander using an air strike as he was travelling by car in Gaza City.
This was followed minutes later by massive explosions throughout the area, as Israeli military forces blasted selected targets by land, sea and air.
Around 10 people were reported dead, including three children, and some 40 were wounded by the attacks.
The offensive shattered hopes of a truce brokered by Egypt following five days of violence which saw over 100 missiles fired by Palestinian militants and retaliations by Israel.
Hamas official, Khalil Al-Haya said: “The Zionist enemy does not recognise mediators and does not recognise control or agreements. The Zionist enemy has, for a long time, spilt our people’s blood, men, women, children, and elders. The battle between us and the enemy is open and will end, God willing, with the liberation of Jerusalem.”
The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said the operation is a warning:
“Today we’ve sent a clear message to Hamas and to other terrorist organisations and if there is a need, the Israeli Defence Forces are prepared to widen the operation. We will continue to do everything to defend our citizens.”
Hamas vowed revenge and immediately fired four Grad rockets which landed in the southern Israeli city of Beersheva. Israel reported damage but no casualties.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5Ukraine PM warns Russia may try to disrupt election
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 14:29 CET Merkel urges Putin to back swift solution to Ukraine gas row
- 14:26 CET Canadian consulate in Istanbul gets package containing yellow…
- 14:25 CET Three major nations absent as China launches World Bank rival in…
- 14:19 CET South Africa police fire rubber bullets at Diamondcorp strikers
- 14:06 CET Masked men burn two Saudi Arabia consulate cars in Egypt: sources
- 13:56 CET Restore EU borders, France’s Le Pen says amid Calais tensions
- 13:46 CET Protesters in Hong Kong to vote on government proposals
- 13:33 CET Tunisia forces kill six after standoff with militants outside Tunis