Israel launched a major military offensive in Palestine on Wednesday.
Operation “Pillar of Defence” began with the killing of Hamas’ military commander using an air strike as he was travelling by car in Gaza City.
This was followed minutes later by massive explosions throughout the area, as Israeli military forces blasted selected targets by land, sea and air.
Around 10 people were reported dead, including three children, and some 40 were wounded by the attacks.
The offensive shattered hopes of a truce brokered by Egypt following five days of violence which saw over 100 missiles fired by Palestinian militants and retaliations by Israel.
Hamas official, Khalil Al-Haya said: “The Zionist enemy does not recognise mediators and does not recognise control or agreements. The Zionist enemy has, for a long time, spilt our people’s blood, men, women, children, and elders. The battle between us and the enemy is open and will end, God willing, with the liberation of Jerusalem.”
The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said the operation is a warning:
“Today we’ve sent a clear message to Hamas and to other terrorist organisations and if there is a need, the Israeli Defence Forces are prepared to widen the operation. We will continue to do everything to defend our citizens.”
Hamas vowed revenge and immediately fired four Grad rockets which landed in the southern Israeli city of Beersheva. Israel reported damage but no casualties.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 2Israel launches airstrike on Gaza in apparent retaliation for rocket attack
- 3Australian mother arrested after eight children stabbed to death
- 4Kyiv terror plot foiled, says Ukrainian security service
- 5Obama says Sony made a “mistake” in cancelling movie over cyber threats
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Thailand’s Princess Srirasmi renounces royal status and will divorce
- 3Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 4Left-wing extremists run riot in upscale Zurich, Switzerland
- 5Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 17Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:19 CET Obama says Putin presiding over economic contraction – …
- 14:12 CET Egypt allows in travellers from Gaza for first time since October
- 14:06 CET Obama vows “do everything I can” to close Guantanamo – …
- 14:01 CET Iohannis promises corruption crackdown as new Romanian president
- 13:41 CET Greek PM offers 2015 election once bailout talks complete
- 13:39 CET Lebanon says it needs French helicopters quickly to fight jihadis
- 13:35 CET Egypt retires hardline intelligence chief
- 13:20 CET Tunisians vote in historic presidential run-off