Israel launched a major military offensive in Palestine on Wednesday.
Operation “Pillar of Defence” began with the killing of Hamas’ military commander using an air strike as he was travelling by car in Gaza City.
This was followed minutes later by massive explosions throughout the area, as Israeli military forces blasted selected targets by land, sea and air.
Around 10 people were reported dead, including three children, and some 40 were wounded by the attacks.
The offensive shattered hopes of a truce brokered by Egypt following five days of violence which saw over 100 missiles fired by Palestinian militants and retaliations by Israel.
Hamas official, Khalil Al-Haya said: “The Zionist enemy does not recognise mediators and does not recognise control or agreements. The Zionist enemy has, for a long time, spilt our people’s blood, men, women, children, and elders. The battle between us and the enemy is open and will end, God willing, with the liberation of Jerusalem.”
The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, said the operation is a warning:
“Today we’ve sent a clear message to Hamas and to other terrorist organisations and if there is a need, the Israeli Defence Forces are prepared to widen the operation. We will continue to do everything to defend our citizens.”
Hamas vowed revenge and immediately fired four Grad rockets which landed in the southern Israeli city of Beersheva. Israel reported damage but no casualties.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Mali: no survivors found in wreckage of Algerian flight
- 3‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 4Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 5Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 08:50 CET Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 08:46 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.