Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Judo World Championships: Kondo and Ganbat celebrate opening day wins
- 2Man Utd’s woes continue, Bayern start with win and Ajax stumped at home
- 3World Judo Championships: Kelmendi and Ebinuma continue world dominance
- 4Ricciardo wins Belgium GP after Mercedes collision
- 5Fans pay tribute to striker Ebosse
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > Sport
- 13:12 CET Former United winger Kanchelskis in charge of Latvian club
- 12:14 CET Buyout offer from Blavatnik sends Perform shares surging back to…
- 11:36 CET Soccer-Monaco striker Falcao set for Man United loan – source
- 11:22 CET Barca academy graduates stealing early-season limelight
- 09:22 CET Soccer-Ajax buy back-up keeper as Vermeer heads to Feyenoord
- 09:18 CET Casillas wants improvement from ‘horrible’ Real Madrid
- 01:06 CET Sociedad stun Real Madrid after Zurutuza double
- 01:01 CET Simon beats Ferrer to register first men’s upset