Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > Sport
- 00:26 CET Serbian fan killed in Istanbul Euroleague violence – consul
- 23:29 CET Basketball – Real edge close to Top 16 as Galatasaray win thriller
- 22:45 CET Frenchman Lavillenie, Kiwi Adams are Athletes of Year
- 22:06 CET Late kickoffs a culture shock for new Sociedad boss Moyes
- 19:39 CET Nimes chief quits amid match-fixing allegations
- 19:38 CET Triesman condemns FIFA as rogue state, calls for boycott
- 19:36 CET Rosberg needs Williams to pick up speed
- 19:32 CET Zidane coaching ban overturned