Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
- 1Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 22017 Dakar rally route unveiled
- 3Champions League: Man City and Real Madrid play out dull goalless draw
- 4Cycling: Belgian teenager gets six-year ban for mechanical doping
- 5Oklahoma Thunder beat Dallas to reach Western Conference semi-finals
Europa League: Villarreal snatch last-minute victory against Liverpool
Colombia’s Nairo Quintana bumped up on podium in Tour de Romandie
Liverpool defender Mamadou Sakho suspended for 30 days
Home hope Mohamed Elshorbagy through to semis of El Gouna International
Russia strikes gold in men’s team sabre in Rio
Wires > Sport
- 02:58 CET Smith backs Cricket Australia campaign for day-night test
- 02:12 CET Show jumper Keach returns to Games 28 years later
- 01:33 CET British rider fails drugs test, says British Cycling
- 00:37 CET Villarreal strike late against Liverpool, Sevilla draw at Shakhtar
- 21:54 CET Lance Armstrong asks U.S. judge for summary judgement in lawsuit
- 21:11 CET F1 text driver? Haryanto sees money in messaging
- 21:08 CET Fury labels Klitschko boring, no-risk fighter
- 19:43 CET Boxer Quigley looks ‘big picture’ with no Rio regrets