Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1McLaren medics rule Alonso out of F1 season opener in Melbourne
- 2Dortmund continue Bundesliga revival as PSV stumble in the Dutch title race
- 3Lin Dan is back
- 4Commission uncovers systematic doping in German football dating back to the 70’s and 80’s
- 5Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a minor
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 20Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
Wires > Sport
- 07:09 CET Watson hoping against hopes for World Cup return
- 06:11 CET Hunt fined after pleading guilty to drug charges
- 06:03 CET Learning Mandarin is key to success, says Dane Axelsen
- 05:42 CET Minnows may be battling, but not fighting all the way
- 05:15 CET Whole NZ squad firing and ready to step up, says Southee
- 03:20 CET Sainz eager to be in the picture
- 03:19 CET Coezter hits ton as Scotland set Bangladesh big total
- 03:13 CET Boy racer Verstappen is driven to succeed