Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
- 1Paris 2024 unveil new Eiffel Tower-inspired Olympic bid logo
- 2The Denver masses turn out for Broncos’ Super Bowl-winning parade
- 3Royal Shrovetide football: the oldest, largest and most chaotic footy match on earth
- 4Jazz sink Dallas in overtime
- 5Ski Jumping: Prevc leaps towards World Cup title with ninth win of the season
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Ski Jumping: Prevc leaps towards World Cup title with ninth win of the season
Royal Shrovetide football: the oldest, largest and most chaotic footy match on earth
Tour of Qatar: Boasson Hagen cruises to stage three victory and overall race lead
Jazz sink Dallas in overtime
Goaltending legend Brodeur’s New Devils shirt retired
Wires > Sport
- 03:28 CET A-League leaders handed flare fine, risk points deduction
- 02:28 CET Accusations fly as Windies World Twenty20 squad stand firm
- 01:12 CET Caddies lose lawsuit versus PGA Tour, ponder next step
- 00:57 CET Kenyan federation CEO dismisses bribery claim
- 00:31 CET WADA ‘extremely troubled’ by Kenyan bribery claims
- 00:28 CET Barca salvage 1-1 King’s Cup draw against improved Valencia
- 23:43 CET Bad publicity leads Nestle to end IAAF partnership
- 23:22 CET Ibrahimovic double helps PSG sink Lyon in Cup