Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
- 1[LIVE BLOG] Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
- 2Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
- 3Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
- 4Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
- 5Mourinho ready to manage ‘giants’ Manchester United
- 1Fourteen Russian athletes test positive from 2008 Olympics
- 2European Aquatics Championships: Pellegrini defends 200 metres freestyle title to add more gold to Italian tally
- 3Spills and thrills as Lorenzo takes lead in MotoGP
- 4European Aquatics Championships: Boglarka wins fourth gold as Hungary top medal table
- 5The Corner: The winners and losers from Europe’s Cup finals weekend
Japanese masterclass on the Guadalajara tatami
[LIVE BLOG] Real Madrid claim Champions League crown on penalties in Milan
Champions League preview: revenge in the air as Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid prepare to do battle
Giro d’Italia: Nibali wins stage 19 as Chaves takes over race lead
Nine-time champion Nadal withdraws from French Open
Wires > Sport
- 23:44 CET Real Madrid win Champions League in penalty shootout
- 23:24 CET NBA player Bryce Dejean-Jones killed in Dallas shooting
- 22:44 CET Murray aware of Nadal injury during practice
- 20:47 CET Diame fires Hull straight back to the Premier League
- 20:25 CET South Africa name new-look squad for Ireland tests
- 19:47 CET Verstappen hits a learning curve in Monaco
- 19:20 CET Messi’s pain eases, recovery time unclear – Argentina doctor
- 19:01 CET Misfortune is now the norm, says glum Hamilton