Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Tough desert day for the runners in the Marathon Des Sables
- 2Liverpool remain on track for first league title in 24 years
- 3Bayern beat United, Atletico stun Barca in the Champions League
- 4Champions League draw: Bayern Munich to face Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid meet Chelsea
- 5El Morabity clinches Marathon des Sables
Wires > Sport
- 11:00 CET Jet-setter Westwood grabs early Malaysian Open lead
- 09:45 CET ‘Prince of Wales’ targets three crowns after Cup stunner
- 07:28 CET Australia women’s coach sacked before AFC Cup defence
- 07:04 CET Brazil unveils $10 billion infrastructure budget for Rio Olympics
- 06:11 CET Sturridge a doubt for Liverpool’s trip to Norwich
- 04:09 CET We must win final five games to pinch title – Pellegrini
- 04:08 CET Suarez out to torment struggling Norwich again
- 01:41 CET Bale hails perfect night after King’s Cup winner