Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1MotoGP champion Marc Marquez welcomed home after victory in Malaysia
- 2Former Swedish international and Sheffield Wednesday player Klas Ingesson dies at 46
- 3Russia unveils 2018 World Cup emblem
- 4Wozniacki leaves the racket at home to run the New York Marathon
- 5Michel Platini’s plans for football rule changes get the euronews once-over
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 3International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 5European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 6All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 8Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 11Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 12Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 13US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 15:54 CET Former Real forward Raul joins New York Cosmos
- 15:40 CET West Ham sweat on Sakho fitness as Carroll returns
- 15:38 CET Schalke’s Uchida signs contract extension to 2018
- 15:17 CET Younus, Ali bat Pakistan into box seat
- 14:39 CET Bath’s new convert Burgess plays down England talk
- 13:35 CET Hamburg file complaint against pitch invader
- 13:08 CET Under-fire Singapore retain Suzuki Cup hosting rights
- 12:58 CET Belgian club allows Meyiwa’s team mate to attend funeral