Didier Deschamps was all smiles on Wednesday night as Bafétimbi Gomis’s 67th minute strike handed France a 2-1 friendly win over Italy in Parma.
Stephan El Shaarawy scored first for the Azzuri but goals from Mathieu Valbuena and Gomis sealed a come from behind victory for Les Blues.
Meanwhile, Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a one-man show as Sweden beat England 4-2 to baptise the brand new Friends arena in Stockholm in style on Wednesday night.
The Paris St Germain striker scored the first of his four on the night after 20 minutes. A youthful England side – who had six players making debuts – equalised after 35 minutes through Danny Wellbeck.
Debutant Steven Caulker scored to put England two one up but Ibrahimovic struck again to level matters. He got his hattrick seven minutes later with a thunderous free-kick, but he saved the best for last.
Ibrahimovic capped off his fantastic performance and 84th cap with a goal-of-the-season contender. An incredible angled overhead kick to seal the 4-2 win and end England’s unbeaten run under coach Roy Hodgson.
Another high profile friendly on the night saw The Netherlands and Germany play out goalless stalemate in Amsterdam.
Joachim Loev’s Germany side dominated possession but failed to break a stubborn Dutch defence and had to settle for a draw with their old foes.
It ended all square between Turkey and Denmark in Istanbul – Nicklas Bendtner got the Danes in front from the spot on 65 minutes while Mevlut Erdinc salvaged the draw four minutes later.
elsewhere Romania upset the odds to beat Belgium 2-1 in Bucharest – Alexandru Maxim and Gabriel Torje hit the mark for the hosts after the Red Devils opened up the scoring on 23 minutes.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pope Francis greets players and manager from San Lorenzo football team
- 2Barcelona transfer ban appeal fails
- 3Fifteen-year-old Martin Odegaard set to make Norwegian soccer history
- 4Uefa charges Italy football chief over racist remarks
- 5Subwing: the new sport sweeping Europe that let’s you swim like a dolphin
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Air Algerie loses contact with plane from Ouagadougou to Algiers | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 6Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 7Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Hong Kong gets smart on mobility | euronews, urban visions
- 10Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 11Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 12Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk | euronews, interview
- 13Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 14Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 15A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 16Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 17EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 18Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > Sport
- 21:49 CET Broad to undergo knee surgery
- 21:41 CET ‘No green jacket for you’, a teasing Woods tells McIlroy
- 20:54 CET Manchester United confirm signing of Rojo from Sporting
- 20:31 CET Bolt wants roof over his head for Polish race
- 19:40 CET Fire damages Nigeria Football Federation office
- 19:39 CET Dzeko signs new four-year deal at Man City
- 19:21 CET QPR sign Dutch international Fer
- 19:13 CET Switzerland keeper Benaglio quits international football