Social networks, online marketing and mobile technologies were all the buzz at the Electronic Business Group (EBG) event in Paris on Wednesday, November 14th. Hundreds of senior marketing and digital leaders from Europe’s biggest brands gathered for the occasion under the cast iron arches of the “Grande Halle de la Villette.”
An international crowd of guests and speakers came to learn from one another and share experiences. “The guests working for multinational brands offer interesting feedback on this year’s topic,” Mobile, Social & Big Data, Benjamin Glaesener, EBG General Manager told euronews.
“EBG was born in 1998, at the time of the internet bubble to offer a neutral place for discussion and exchange” to large corporations when many of them hopped onto the digital wagon, Glaesener explained. The mission lasts to this day, and gets frequent updates with innovations like social networks. For instance, on Wednesday, James Quarles, Facebook EMEA regional director gave a keynote speech on branding on Facebook.
Among the other digital big shots present at the event is Yammer, a tech company that sets up internal private social networks for over 200,000 corporations worldwide. This success led Microsoft to acquire Yammer in June 2012 for 1.2 bn dollars.
Georg Ell, Yammer EMEA General Manager (shown above), also shared his experiences with the EBG crowd. He told euronews “Microsoft did not fly someone over to take over Yammer’s European branch”. Instead, Ell now leads a team of Europeans nested in the heart of London’s “Tech City”. The St John’s College graduate says he doesn’t see Europe lagging behind the US anymore in terms of new technologies: “while it lacks a true single market and a common language, unlike the US, Europe now has spaces, money and talents” needed to launch tech companies and start-ups.
It is those talents, and many others, that are gathered at EBG. Gökhan Salmanoğlu, Neobusiness and Digital Coordinator for Pfizer Turkey came all the way from Istanbul to speak about “business-to-business” mobile apps. Salmanoğlu, who is used to such events, says EBG has exceeded his expectations with “the guests, all senior people from major brands, media, industries. The panel discussions and speeches, split between mobile and social, were interesting too.” What did he like the most? “The ambition of the EBG event to gather “the 1,000 digital leaders in Europe.”
Euronews also covered the 2nd day of the EBG event. Story to come soon.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 11:50 CET Reforms bringing results, Cyprus says after ratings upgrade
- 10:26 CET Modi takes tea, but no questions, in first press event as PM
- 07:48 CET South Koreans trying to launch anti-North leaflets clash with…
- 06:14 CET Coal mine accident in far west China kills 16 – Xinhua
- 05:57 CET China to shut factories during APEC to curb Beijing pollution -…
- 04:51 CET Two killed, four wounded in Washington state school shooting
- 04:19 CET Two U.S. states to quarantine health workers returning from Ebola…
- 03:32 CET U.S. general says he believes North Korea can build nuclear warhead