Social networks, online marketing and mobile technologies were all the buzz at the Electronic Business Group (EBG) event in Paris on Wednesday, November 14th. Hundreds of senior marketing and digital leaders from Europe’s biggest brands gathered for the occasion under the cast iron arches of the “Grande Halle de la Villette.”
An international crowd of guests and speakers came to learn from one another and share experiences. “The guests working for multinational brands offer interesting feedback on this year’s topic,” Mobile, Social & Big Data, Benjamin Glaesener, EBG General Manager told euronews.
“EBG was born in 1998, at the time of the internet bubble to offer a neutral place for discussion and exchange” to large corporations when many of them hopped onto the digital wagon, Glaesener explained. The mission lasts to this day, and gets frequent updates with innovations like social networks. For instance, on Wednesday, James Quarles, Facebook EMEA regional director gave a keynote speech on branding on Facebook.
Among the other digital big shots present at the event is Yammer, a tech company that sets up internal private social networks for over 200,000 corporations worldwide. This success led Microsoft to acquire Yammer in June 2012 for 1.2 bn dollars.
Georg Ell, Yammer EMEA General Manager (shown above), also shared his experiences with the EBG crowd. He told euronews “Microsoft did not fly someone over to take over Yammer’s European branch”. Instead, Ell now leads a team of Europeans nested in the heart of London’s “Tech City”. The St John’s College graduate says he doesn’t see Europe lagging behind the US anymore in terms of new technologies: “while it lacks a true single market and a common language, unlike the US, Europe now has spaces, money and talents” needed to launch tech companies and start-ups.
It is those talents, and many others, that are gathered at EBG. Gökhan Salmanoğlu, Neobusiness and Digital Coordinator for Pfizer Turkey came all the way from Istanbul to speak about “business-to-business” mobile apps. Salmanoğlu, who is used to such events, says EBG has exceeded his expectations with “the guests, all senior people from major brands, media, industries. The panel discussions and speeches, split between mobile and social, were interesting too.” What did he like the most? “The ambition of the EBG event to gather “the 1,000 digital leaders in Europe.”
Euronews also covered the 2nd day of the EBG event. Story to come soon.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal
- 3Britain launches air strikes against ISIL targets in Iraq
- 4Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him
- 5Catalan authorities temporarily suspend formal campaigning for independence vote
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
Wires > News
- 03:21 CET Mexico conservative opposition leader Madero stands down – PAN
- 02:59 CET Traveller from Liberia is first Ebola patient diagnosed in U.S.
- 01:46 CET Brazil’s Rousseff widens lead over Silva in fresh polls
- 01:08 CET In al Qaeda attack, lines between Pakistan military, militants blur
- 23:23 CET Avalanche in southern Chile kills Canadian, Swedish climbers
- 23:21 CET Indonesia’s Widodo manages hopes as hostile parliament convenes
- 23:06 CET U.S. warns South Sudan: Strike a peace deal or face U.N. sanctions
- 22:27 CET Catalonia suspends formal campaign on Spain independence vote