Social networks, online marketing and mobile technologies were all the buzz at the Electronic Business Group (EBG) event in Paris on Wednesday, November 14th. Hundreds of senior marketing and digital leaders from Europe’s biggest brands gathered for the occasion under the cast iron arches of the “Grande Halle de la Villette.”
An international crowd of guests and speakers came to learn from one another and share experiences. “The guests working for multinational brands offer interesting feedback on this year’s topic,” Mobile, Social & Big Data, Benjamin Glaesener, EBG General Manager told euronews.
“EBG was born in 1998, at the time of the internet bubble to offer a neutral place for discussion and exchange” to large corporations when many of them hopped onto the digital wagon, Glaesener explained. The mission lasts to this day, and gets frequent updates with innovations like social networks. For instance, on Wednesday, James Quarles, Facebook EMEA regional director gave a keynote speech on branding on Facebook.
Among the other digital big shots present at the event is Yammer, a tech company that sets up internal private social networks for over 200,000 corporations worldwide. This success led Microsoft to acquire Yammer in June 2012 for 1.2 bn dollars.
Georg Ell, Yammer EMEA General Manager (shown above), also shared his experiences with the EBG crowd. He told euronews “Microsoft did not fly someone over to take over Yammer’s European branch”. Instead, Ell now leads a team of Europeans nested in the heart of London’s “Tech City”. The St John’s College graduate says he doesn’t see Europe lagging behind the US anymore in terms of new technologies: “while it lacks a true single market and a common language, unlike the US, Europe now has spaces, money and talents” needed to launch tech companies and start-ups.
It is those talents, and many others, that are gathered at EBG. Gökhan Salmanoğlu, Neobusiness and Digital Coordinator for Pfizer Turkey came all the way from Istanbul to speak about “business-to-business” mobile apps. Salmanoğlu, who is used to such events, says EBG has exceeded his expectations with “the guests, all senior people from major brands, media, industries. The panel discussions and speeches, split between mobile and social, were interesting too.” What did he like the most? “The ambition of the EBG event to gather “the 1,000 digital leaders in Europe.”
Euronews also covered the 2nd day of the EBG event. Story to come soon.
- 1Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 2Croatia celebrates 20th anniversary of ‘Operation Storm’
- 3Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
- 4India: more than 20 dead in double train derailment
- 5German state and judiciary square up over treason probe
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Dudamel’s gift of Beethoven to brotherly Bogota
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Latest world news
Wildfire forces US town to evacuate as ‘Rocky’ rages on
Iran nuclear deal: Obama and Netanyahu make competing appeals to US Jews
Hiroshima 70 years on: Survivors remember horror of nuclear bomb
Missing MH370: analysis of wing part due to begin in France
Norwegian police investigate ‘bomb-like’ package at Oslo university
Wires > News
- 14:21 CET Don’t treat divorced Catholics as outcasts, Pope tells priests
- 14:20 CET China says has stopped reclamation work in South China Sea
- 14:19 CET Russia’s Lavrov criticises Obama over missile shield plans
- 14:17 CET Syrian Islamist group says had been in talks with Iran
- 14:14 CET Danish government plans referendum on EU defence opt-out
- 14:06 CET Malaysia’s anti-graft unit to ask Najib to explain 2.6 billion…
- 13:50 CET President-elect says Poland should be part of Ukraine peace talks…
- 13:48 CET Poll shows Spain set for unpredictable political autumn