The Israeli Defence Force is embarking on its second day of air strikes on the Gaza Strip.
Officials claim three militants have been killed and several targets have been hit, including what are claimed to be rocket launching sites operated by Hamas militants. The group’s military chief was killed by a strike yesterday.
Meanwhile, the UN security council has held an emergency meeting in New York to discuss the crisis. The Palestinian Authority had asked the council to issue a statement urging Israel to halt its offensive but no declaration was agreed.
Latest world news
Germany’s AfD party adopts anti-Islam manifesto
Baghdad protesters leave Green Zone but vow to keep up pressure over corruption
National issues highlighted in Europe’s May Day rallies
From Jerusalem to Damascus to Moscow, Orthodox Christians celebrate Easter
Brussels airport departure hall reopens after terror attacks
Wires > News
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…
- 22:43 CET French far-right veteran Le Pen predicts daughter’s failure in…
- 21:49 CET Bomb attack in southeast Turkey wounds 10 troops, Kurdish…