Protestors gathered for a candlelit vigil in front of Dublin’s parliament in a show of support for the family of a seriously-ill pregnant woman who died after being denied an abortion.
31-year-old Savita Halappanavar pleaded for a termination but doctors refused because they could detect a foetal heartbeat.
Abortion is illegal in Ireland except where there is a substantial risk to the woman’s life. Savita’s death has propelled the issue to the top of the agenda.
“Obviously the matter is being investigated by the HSC (Health and Social Care) and I don’t think I should say any more than that, other than to send my deepest sympathies to the family” said Health Minister James Reilly.
But Sinead Ahern of campaign group Choice Ireland sees it differently: “Every day that the government fails to act to legislate for the ‘x case’ is another day that women’s rights are being violated and women are potentially being placed at risk.”
In 2010 a judgement from the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg ruled that the state had failed to implement existing rights to lawful abortion where the mother’s life was at risk.
A group of experts have yet to make recommendations in the wake of the judgement. Campaigners say a review of the current law is long overdue.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 3Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali