15/11/12 00:08 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Protestors gathered for a candlelit vigil in front of Dublin’s parliament in a show of support for the family of a seriously-ill pregnant woman who died after being denied an abortion.
31-year-old Savita Halappanavar pleaded for a termination but doctors refused because they could detect a foetal heartbeat.
Abortion is illegal in Ireland except where there is a substantial risk to the woman’s life. Savita’s death has propelled the issue to the top of the agenda.
“Obviously the matter is being investigated by the HSC (Health and Social Care) and I don’t think I should say any more than that, other than to send my deepest sympathies to the family” said Health Minister James Reilly.
But Sinead Ahern of campaign group Choice Ireland sees it differently: “Every day that the government fails to act to legislate for the ‘x case’ is another day that women’s rights are being violated and women are potentially being placed at risk.”
In 2010 a judgement from the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg ruled that the state had failed to implement existing rights to lawful abortion where the mother’s life was at risk.
A group of experts have yet to make recommendations in the wake of the judgement. Campaigners say a review of the current law is long overdue.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq