In it’s autumn balance sheet, the European Commissioner for Energy gave member states a dressing down and pressed them to make the internal energy market a reality.
According to him, lower market prices would benefit European consumers, thanks to perfect competition and price deregulation.
EU Commissioner for Energy
“The state doesn’t set prices for Audi and Renault and Mercedes and Peugeot, so in the next few years we are going to look at the reduction of the regulated prices and eventually the abolition of regulated prices for electricity and gas”.
He said that savings made at any one time is still paid for by the consumer down the line.
EU Commissioner for Energy
“If we have fixed prices, low prices, you have full cost anyway, so consumers pays the rest as tax payers or by debt in their public budgets.”
The commissioner is an advocate of the total removal of state subsidies for green energy, a move that’s earned him criticism and stoked fears among environmentalists.
- 1EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 2Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 5The long road north: thousands of migrants now taking the Balkan route
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country