In it’s autumn balance sheet, the European Commissioner for Energy gave member states a dressing down and pressed them to make the internal energy market a reality.
According to him, lower market prices would benefit European consumers, thanks to perfect competition and price deregulation.
EU Commissioner for Energy
“The state doesn’t set prices for Audi and Renault and Mercedes and Peugeot, so in the next few years we are going to look at the reduction of the regulated prices and eventually the abolition of regulated prices for electricity and gas”.
He said that savings made at any one time is still paid for by the consumer down the line.
EU Commissioner for Energy
“If we have fixed prices, low prices, you have full cost anyway, so consumers pays the rest as tax payers or by debt in their public budgets.”
The commissioner is an advocate of the total removal of state subsidies for green energy, a move that’s earned him criticism and stoked fears among environmentalists.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation