In it’s autumn balance sheet, the European Commissioner for Energy gave member states a dressing down and pressed them to make the internal energy market a reality.
According to him, lower market prices would benefit European consumers, thanks to perfect competition and price deregulation.
EU Commissioner for Energy
“The state doesn’t set prices for Audi and Renault and Mercedes and Peugeot, so in the next few years we are going to look at the reduction of the regulated prices and eventually the abolition of regulated prices for electricity and gas”.
He said that savings made at any one time is still paid for by the consumer down the line.
EU Commissioner for Energy
“If we have fixed prices, low prices, you have full cost anyway, so consumers pays the rest as tax payers or by debt in their public budgets.”
The commissioner is an advocate of the total removal of state subsidies for green energy, a move that’s earned him criticism and stoked fears among environmentalists.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 10Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news