Fast access to disaster areas is vital. But often first responders, firefighters and medical teams have difficulty getting into damaged buildings and in locating victims. This was the case after Hurricane Sandy earlier this year.
So Professor Seth Teller and his team at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology scientists developed a robot which creates a three dimensional map. The robot can be carried by a single person and it will then relay an accurate image of precisely what that person is seeing to the rest of the team.
Emergency workers need freedom of movement, especially when running through disaster zones and previous designs couldn’t respond when it came to measuring distances. So the human vest’s sensor platform has accelerometers and gyroscopes which can can deal with jerky movements.
Emergency coordinators say these gadgets could make a vast difference in any future disaster zones.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid