Fast access to disaster areas is vital. But often first responders, firefighters and medical teams have difficulty getting into damaged buildings and in locating victims. This was the case after Hurricane Sandy earlier this year.
So Professor Seth Teller and his team at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology scientists developed a robot which creates a three dimensional map. The robot can be carried by a single person and it will then relay an accurate image of precisely what that person is seeing to the rest of the team.
Emergency workers need freedom of movement, especially when running through disaster zones and previous designs couldn’t respond when it came to measuring distances. So the human vest’s sensor platform has accelerometers and gyroscopes which can can deal with jerky movements.
Emergency coordinators say these gadgets could make a vast difference in any future disaster zones.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 10Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 14Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video