Qalandiya, the first ever Palestinian Contemporary Art Biennale has been held in Ramallah. One of the most popular displays was a pop art-inspired needlework portrait is of Mohamed Bouazizi, the market stall holder who sparked the beginning of the Arab Spring when he burned himself to death in protest at being rough-handled by the police.
The biennial took its name from one of the most famous symbols of Palestinian separation, the Israeli checkpoint at Qalandiya, which is one of the main crossing points between the West Bank and Israel.
Displaying art installations in hard-to-access Palestinian villages scattered across the West Bank was a gamble, but it worked. People flocked to the Abwein village for a day packed with art and fun.
Using villages as art galleries, and borrowing its name from a crowded refugee camp and Israeli military checkpoint, Qalandiya International was a chance for Palestinian artists of the West Bank, Jerusalem, Israel and Gaza to get together and overcome their politically fragmented world.
Jerusalem artist, Jumana Manna’s short movie was inspired by a 1942 picture of a high society masquerade hosted by Palestinian politician Alfred Roch, a reenactment that has won Manna the festival’s “Young Artist of the Year” award.
For more information see
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 7latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 10Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 11New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 12world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 13‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 14Latest sport news
- 15‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 16Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Romanians’ cold revolt against corruption
- 19Latest News Bulletin
- 20No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary