14/11/12 15:16 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tens of thousand of people have taken to the streets throughout Spain to join a general strike that is stretching across Europe.
It is coordinated action as part of a “European Day of Action and Solidarity” against austerity measures which many demonstrators say have made economic matters worse.
The crisis has pushed millions into poverty and widespread anger didn’t take long before erupting into violence.
In Madrid, police trying to keep roads and parts of the city open, arrested more than 70 people after scuffles at picket lines.
Although Spain’s government has just passed a further round of stringent belt-tightening measures, unions say ordinary people are being made to suffer excessively.
“They’re taking all our rights away. The banks and other businesses are bringing us onto the streets, they’re stealing our salaries. We don’t have any rights anymore.”
The industrial action has caused chaos for travellers across Spain.
Madrid’s main train station was brought to a standstill as protestors prevented passengers from entering platforms.
Tensions have also risen since last when when a woman jumped from her apartment to her death as baliffs tried to evict her after her bank foreclosed.
The government is now reviewing eviction laws.
- 1Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 4New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 5Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 09:11 CET Speedboat crash kills three foreigners in Thailand – police
- 08:43 CET Insight – How a 26-year-old Ukrainian took on Odessa’s customs…
- 08:39 CET Australian TV station sacks producer over Lebanon child recovery…
- 07:18 CET Korean Air evacuates plane at Japan’s Haneda airport after engine…
- 07:17 CET China faces headaches from warming Vietnam-U.S. ties
- 07:09 CET Push for encryption law falters despite Apple case spotlight
- 06:58 CET Top China steel city orders mills to cut output to clear air
- 06:32 CET Earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude strikes deep off Tonga – USGS