14/11/12 15:16 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Tens of thousand of people have taken to the streets throughout Spain to join a general strike that is stretching across Europe.
It is coordinated action as part of a “European Day of Action and Solidarity” against austerity measures which many demonstrators say have made economic matters worse.
The crisis has pushed millions into poverty and widespread anger didn’t take long before erupting into violence.
In Madrid, police trying to keep roads and parts of the city open, arrested more than 70 people after scuffles at picket lines.
Although Spain’s government has just passed a further round of stringent belt-tightening measures, unions say ordinary people are being made to suffer excessively.
“They’re taking all our rights away. The banks and other businesses are bringing us onto the streets, they’re stealing our salaries. We don’t have any rights anymore.”
The industrial action has caused chaos for travellers across Spain.
Madrid’s main train station was brought to a standstill as protestors prevented passengers from entering platforms.
Tensions have also risen since last when when a woman jumped from her apartment to her death as baliffs tried to evict her after her bank foreclosed.
The government is now reviewing eviction laws.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 21:45 CET Canada eager to consider investing in new Montreal rail network -…
- 20:58 CET Blacklisted oil tanker returns to Libya’s Zawiya port
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:46 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…
- 17:36 CET Serbian opposition rallies in Belgrade demanding election recount