Tens of thousand of people have taken to the streets throughout Spain to join a general strike that is stretching across Europe.
It is coordinated action as part of a “European Day of Action and Solidarity” against austerity measures which many demonstrators say have made economic matters worse.
The crisis has pushed millions into poverty and widespread anger didn’t take long before erupting into violence.
In Madrid, police trying to keep roads and parts of the city open, arrested more than 70 people after scuffles at picket lines.
Although Spain’s government has just passed a further round of stringent belt-tightening measures, unions say ordinary people are being made to suffer excessively.
“They’re taking all our rights away. The banks and other businesses are bringing us onto the streets, they’re stealing our salaries. We don’t have any rights anymore.”
The industrial action has caused chaos for travellers across Spain.
Madrid’s main train station was brought to a standstill as protestors prevented passengers from entering platforms.
Tensions have also risen since last when when a woman jumped from her apartment to her death as baliffs tried to evict her after her bank foreclosed.
The government is now reviewing eviction laws.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 06:41 CET Gunmen in Egypt kill guard outside Niger embassy
- 06:41 CET Magnitude 6.3 earthquake rattles south-central Alaska
- 05:57 CET Malaysian parliament investigation of state fund on hold
- 05:54 CET Pakistan police say kill head of banned sectarian group
- 04:45 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 03:34 CET Singapore arrests man who tried to join Islamic State
- 02:55 CET Magnitude 5.9 quake hits Panama-Colombia border, no reports of…
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe