Shares in Facebook jumped in heavy trading on the Nasdaq. The rise comes as millions of shares held by the company’s staff become available – the largest amount since the social network’s disastrous flotation earlier this year.
About 800 million shares could hit the market as company insiders get the go-ahead to sell for the first time.
“While the lock-up is expiring there is nothing requiring anybody to sell,” said one analyst.
The end of two previous lock-up periods led to Facebook stock suddenly flooding the market, triggering sales and a resultant fall in the share price.
Facebook’s 28-year-old chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg pledged not to sell any shares before September next year.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 00:50 CET HSBC Argentina makes proposal to cenbank amid tax evasion probe
- 23:49 CET Pimco Total Return assets drop below $100 billion, first time…
- 23:35 CET Twitter announces global expansion of self-service ads platform
- 23:32 CET Lannett to buy UCB’s U.S. speciality generic drugs unit for $1.23…
- 22:52 CET Barclays sells Portugal assets to Spain’s Bankinter for 175…
- 22:04 CET Boeing delivers 14 Dreamliners, strong cash flow seen – sources
- 21:48 CET Spielberg’s DreamWorks to split from Disney – Hollywood Reporter
- 20:11 CET Reebok heads back to the gym with new German marketing blitz