The rain is now tapering off and water levels are beginning to drop in Italy. Three days of torrential downpours have left large parts of the northern and central regions of the country underwater.
At least four people have been killed.
Tuscany has been particularly badly affected. Here in the village of Albinia, 800 people have been evacuated from their homes.
The flood waters have also reached the capital, Rome. The Tiber has burst its banks north of the capital, but the centre is being kept safe by high embankment walls.
Wires > News
- 13:58 CET Pakistan bans airing of ‘undesired’ contraceptive advertisements
- 13:32 CET UNESCO chief sees threat from cultural destruction
- 13:17 CET Xi says China should invest more in the elderly
- 12:48 CET Pakistani PM to undergo heart surgery in London
- 11:53 CET Turkish rockets, U.S.-led coalition hit Islamic State in Syria…
- 11:43 CET Blast kills one at Bulgaria’s biggest military plant
- 11:41 CET Militants attack Nembe pipeline in Nigeria’s Delta – official
- 11:37 CET At G7, Cameron keeps lid on press pack’s ‘Brexit’ probing