The rain is now tapering off and water levels are beginning to drop in Italy. Three days of torrential downpours have left large parts of the northern and central regions of the country underwater.
At least four people have been killed.
Tuscany has been particularly badly affected. Here in the village of Albinia, 800 people have been evacuated from their homes.
The flood waters have also reached the capital, Rome. The Tiber has burst its banks north of the capital, but the centre is being kept safe by high embankment walls.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 7Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 8Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 9Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 10Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 11Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 12Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 13Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 14EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 15Romania buys into bitcoin big time | euronews, corporate
- 16Portugal hopes to become a pensioner’s paradise with zero tax offer | euronews, reporter
- 17A robot that grows | euronews, futuris
- 18Malta opera star Joseph Calleja’s summer concert draws big crowd | euronews, le mag
- 19Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > News
- 12:46 CET Ukraine’s PM says Russia plans to block gas flows to Europe
- 12:21 CET Group of Russian soldiers crossed into Ukraine town – Ukraine…
- 11:59 CET Afghan forces battle for control of symbolic Kunduz province
- 11:43 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says new cabinet to be announced on Friday
- 11:20 CET IMF’s Lagarde put under investigation in French fraud case – source
- 11:11 CET Afghan election audit disrupted as candidate threatens to walk out
- 11:06 CET Islamic State and Syrian government committing war crimes – U.N.
- 11:00 CET Malaysia police arrest 42 foreigners after riot at export factory