For the first time in the country’s history Russia will host the Winter Olympic’s in 2014 in Sochi and with a little more than a year left until the games begin the first official Olympic merchandise store was opened in Moscow on Wednesday.
From Olympic toy mascots to skis and winter wear, shelves in the brand new department store were stacked to the rafters albeit some 2 000 kilometres away from where the Olympic action will happen.
President of the Sochi organising committee Dmitry Chernyshenko said: “We, Russia, are approaching the finishing line and in less than 450 days the Olympic flame will be lit up in Sochi. It is very important to understand that these are not just the games of the city of Sochi but the games of the whole country.”
It is the first of some 300 official merchandise stores to open across Russia in the run-up to the country’s first Winter Games.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 16:56 CET Belkin strike it lucky with Dutch lottery sponsorship
- 15:58 CET If Russia lose belief in me, I will quit – Capello
- 14:44 CET Kallis quits ODI cricket months before World Cup
- 14:42 CET World Cup criticism was fair, says Belgium’s Hazard
- 14:34 CET England 80-2 (and 569-7d) at lunch vs India (330 all out)
- 13:39 CET Shares in Danish soccer club jump 280 pct ahead of UEFA game
- 13:38 CET Mido sacked by Zamalek as Champions League hopes fade
- 11:49 CET United need time to learn my methods – Van Gaal