For the first time in the country’s history Russia will host the Winter Olympic’s in 2014 in Sochi and with a little more than a year left until the games begin the first official Olympic merchandise store was opened in Moscow on Wednesday.
From Olympic toy mascots to skis and winter wear, shelves in the brand new department store were stacked to the rafters albeit some 2 000 kilometres away from where the Olympic action will happen.
President of the Sochi organising committee Dmitry Chernyshenko said: “We, Russia, are approaching the finishing line and in less than 450 days the Olympic flame will be lit up in Sochi. It is very important to understand that these are not just the games of the city of Sochi but the games of the whole country.”
It is the first of some 300 official merchandise stores to open across Russia in the run-up to the country’s first Winter Games.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Sport
- 10:14 CET India coach calls on bosses to tackle TV companies’ demands
- 10:06 CET Durban confirmed as 2022 Commonwealth Games host
- 09:32 CET Durban our focus, Olympics will come later say South Africa
- 09:20 CET No slip-ups allowed for Germany as Poland await
- 09:15 CET Cahill to captain Australia in Jedinak absence
- 09:06 CET Everton manager Martinez happy with squad after deadline day
- 08:03 CET Newcastle’s new boys will take time to gel, says Wijnaldum
- 07:14 CET Tiny Cook Islands win another World Cup qualifier