For the first time in the country’s history Russia will host the Winter Olympic’s in 2014 in Sochi and with a little more than a year left until the games begin the first official Olympic merchandise store was opened in Moscow on Wednesday.
From Olympic toy mascots to skis and winter wear, shelves in the brand new department store were stacked to the rafters albeit some 2 000 kilometres away from where the Olympic action will happen.
President of the Sochi organising committee Dmitry Chernyshenko said: “We, Russia, are approaching the finishing line and in less than 450 days the Olympic flame will be lit up in Sochi. It is very important to understand that these are not just the games of the city of Sochi but the games of the whole country.”
It is the first of some 300 official merchandise stores to open across Russia in the run-up to the country’s first Winter Games.
- 1Austrian pole vaulter Grunberg left paraplegic after training accident
- 2European Youth Olympic Festival – day four round-up
- 3IOC set to vote between Beijing or Almaty to host 2022 Winter Olympics
- 4IOC blasts Boston for breaking Olympic bid promises
- 5Drogba makes immediate impact on Montreal arrival
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Wires > Sport
- 23:10 CET Argentine exec in FIFA case pleads not guilty to U.S. charges
- 23:01 CET Wie drops out as Pettersen sets pace at windy Turnberry
- 19:40 CET West Ham forward Valencia sustains ‘significant’ injury
- 19:28 CET Lambert leaves Liverpool to join West Brom
- 18:17 CET Bell steers England to victory, hosts take 2-1 Ashes lead
- 18:12 CET Jovetic leaves City for Inter Milan on loan
- 17:36 CET Argentine executive to appear in U.S. court in FIFA case
- 16:47 CET Favourite Peaty now a marked man, says Britain’s coach