For the first time in the country’s history Russia will host the Winter Olympic’s in 2014 in Sochi and with a little more than a year left until the games begin the first official Olympic merchandise store was opened in Moscow on Wednesday.
From Olympic toy mascots to skis and winter wear, shelves in the brand new department store were stacked to the rafters albeit some 2 000 kilometres away from where the Olympic action will happen.
President of the Sochi organising committee Dmitry Chernyshenko said: “We, Russia, are approaching the finishing line and in less than 450 days the Olympic flame will be lit up in Sochi. It is very important to understand that these are not just the games of the city of Sochi but the games of the whole country.”
It is the first of some 300 official merchandise stores to open across Russia in the run-up to the country’s first Winter Games.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Tough desert day for the runners in the Marathon Des Sables
- 2Champions League: Chelsea and Real Madrid advance to last four
- 3Bayern beat United, Atletico stun Barca in the Champions League
- 4Liverpool remain on track for first league title in 24 years
- 5Champions League draw: Bayern Munich to face Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid meet Chelsea
Wires > Sport
- 14:57 CET Crawley player gets five-game ban for confronting fan
- 14:44 CET Federer eases into Monte Carlo third round
- 13:32 CET Rosberg out to wreck Hamilton hat-trick bid
- 12:08 CET Deschamps to pick World Cup squad with Euro 2016 in mind
- 11:06 CET Poyet dismisses Sunderland exit rumours
- 10:43 CET Voices of gratitude, defiance at Boston bombing memorial
- 05:46 CET Wallabies to test World Cup campaign on end-of-year tour
- 02:55 CET Voices of gratitude, defiance at Boston bombing memorial