US President Barack Obama is backing General John Allen – the second top military official to become embroiled in a sex scandal in recent days.
Allen has been chosen to become the next NATO commander in Europe. However, his nomination has been put on hold after accusations that he sent sexually inappropriate emails.
“The President thinks very highly of General Allen and his service to his country as well as the job he has done in Afghanistan… He has faith in General Allen, believes he is doing and has done an excellent job at ISAF,” said White House Spokesman Jay Carney.
Investigators are going through 20,000-30,000 emails as they look for evidence of the sexual harrasment that has been alleged by Jill Kelley, a socialite and volunteer liaison officer at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida.
It was the probe into Kelley’s allegations that led to the uncovering of the affair between former military officer Paula Broadwell and ex-CIA director David Petraeus.
The two are said to have become close while Broadwell wrote his biography.
Petraeus stood down as CIA chief on Friday citing the affair.
Another investigation is looking into whether Broadwell may have any sensitive or classified documents, with an FBI search having been carried out at her North Carolina home.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 17:28 CET Canada’s Harper pledges tougher security laws after attack
- 17:21 CET Insight – Mario Draghi’s German problem
- 17:01 CET Ukrainian PM warns Russia may try to disrupt Sunday’s election
- 16:49 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but divided over costs
- 15:29 CET U.S., allies stage 15 air strikes on Islamic State in Iraq, Syria…
- 14:56 CET China vows better rule of law, but no word of disgraced security…
- 14:40 CET Exclusive – Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- 14:35 CET U.N. rights watchdog calls for open elections in Hong Kong