US President Barack Obama is backing General John Allen – the second top military official to become embroiled in a sex scandal in recent days.
Allen has been chosen to become the next NATO commander in Europe. However, his nomination has been put on hold after accusations that he sent sexually inappropriate emails.
“The President thinks very highly of General Allen and his service to his country as well as the job he has done in Afghanistan… He has faith in General Allen, believes he is doing and has done an excellent job at ISAF,” said White House Spokesman Jay Carney.
Investigators are going through 20,000-30,000 emails as they look for evidence of the sexual harrasment that has been alleged by Jill Kelley, a socialite and volunteer liaison officer at MacDill Air Force Base in Florida.
It was the probe into Kelley’s allegations that led to the uncovering of the affair between former military officer Paula Broadwell and ex-CIA director David Petraeus.
The two are said to have become close while Broadwell wrote his biography.
Petraeus stood down as CIA chief on Friday citing the affair.
Another investigation is looking into whether Broadwell may have any sensitive or classified documents, with an FBI search having been carried out at her North Carolina home.
- 1Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 2Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Yemen: Air strike kills at least 40 people at camp, say aid workers
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:35 CET Singapore police arrest teen for anti-Christian online comments
- 03:03 CET Canadian Parliament backs air strikes on Islamic State in Syria
- 02:10 CET Children’s lives at stake as donors meet for Syria summit – aid…
- 02:02 CET One million green jobs projected by 2030 in China, EU and U.S. -…
- 02:00 CET U.S. supports, would cooperate with proposed Arab force – Carter
- 01:21 CET Libyan oil guards demand state firm to reopen the two biggest oil…
- 00:19 CET One dead, two hurt as vehicle tries to ram U.S. spy agency gates
- 23:52 CET Canada-based Iranian filmmaker ‘in good shape’ in Evin prison